Gnabry
Posted by: Bergmars (IP Logged)
Date: 02 October, 2019 05:29

good decision to let him go

Under new managment

Re: Gnabry
Posted by: AJ The Gunner (IP Logged)
Date: 02 October, 2019 05:39

He wanted to go. Wenger didn't want to give him a trial at the expense of his favorites. Another that got away though I doubt he would have improved this much if he stayed. Sad but true.

Wenger Is Gone Now So Can We Be Allowed To Breathe Now???

Date: 02 October, 2019 07:27

Agree

Under new managment

Posted by: BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
Date: 02 October, 2019 09:18

I hate to do a gunnersingh I told you so, but I said at the time it was a ridiculous decision letting him go.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Posted by: Padre Pio (IP Logged)
Date: 02 October, 2019 10:20

Quote:
BootyDaddy
I hate to do a gunnersingh I told you so, but I said at the time it was a ridiculous decision letting him go.

I dont think they had much choice, he had ambition.

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Posted by: Gooner Sod (IP Logged)
Date: 02 October, 2019 12:00

Quote:
Padre Pio
Quote:
BootyDaddy

I dont think they had much choice, he had ambition.

It's just one of them things. It was last year of his contract and he never made a serious impression here. If the guy wants to go, you let him go.

Happened to Man Utd with Pogba, Chelsea with De Bruyne & Salah. Can't win them all...

Date: 02 October, 2019 12:05

They made him an offer and he refused

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Posted by: Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
Date: 02 October, 2019 20:25

Quote:
BootyDaddy

I never make threads about me being right. It's just you remembering me always being right!

Date: 02 October, 2019 21:24

Quote:
Gunnersingh1
Quote:
BootyDaddy

I never make threads about me being right. It's just you remembering me always being right!

You might well be right, but its pointless, the bloke didnt want to stay he insisted on going. The horse had bolted before any decision could be made.
If you want to blame the club then they are to blame for the way they treated him in the two years before he left.

Posted by: Kalela (IP Logged)
Date: 02 October, 2019 22:11

Quote:
AJ The Gunner
I doubt he would have improved this much if he stayed. Sad but true.

I agree. In fact I don't even think he would do well here even the club signed him this past summer. This a poorly built team and the tactics are all wrong most of the time.

Posted by: MattySadler (IP Logged)
Date: 03 October, 2019 06:27

The big mistake was not sorting out a new contract before we sent him out on loan. Can kind of understand the hesitance as he'd had a big injury lay off but it was obvious during his short spell in the side during 13-14 that he was destined for the top. Oxlade-Chamberlain with end product. Really should've got him to extend before we sent him to Albion.

But of course we didn't. Our manager at the time was Wenger, the man who lost a number of talents for free or on the cheap, but once claimed that having a number of our best players in the final year of their contracts was an "ideal situation".

Date: 03 October, 2019 12:54

Typifies the last ten years of the inept way the club has been and continues to be run

Under new managment

Posted by: MattySadler (IP Logged)
Date: 08 October, 2019 17:03

Donyell Malen has 16 in 18 for PSV in all competitions this season, so looking like another we may live to regret letting go.

In truth I'm pretty sure Malen wanted to leave himself as there wasn't exactly a clear path through for him given the other forwards we have at the club at various levels.

Date: 10 October, 2019 08:22

Definitely one that got away but can't keep them all. We have to remember he was out for a year with injury, then sent on loan when he barely played. So with 1 year left and him wanting to leave, the club hands were tied. It's not really Wengers fault. He gave him a chance until that big injury.

Big clubs lose young players all the time. Our current crop is very good and at least one of them (i'm thinking Saka) should turn out almost as good as Gnabry has. So things could be worse.

Date: 10 October, 2019 08:25

Wenger opinion

Sky Sports

Arsene Wenger believes Serge Gnabry chose to leave Arsenal after being "manipulated behind the scenes" by Bayern Munich.

Gnabry broke into the Arsenal first team under Wenger in 2012 but went on to make only 10 Premier League appearances for the Gunners before leaving to join Werder Bremen in 2016.

The winger moved on to Bayern Munich the following season and has since become a key player for the Bundesliga champions, as well as the German national side.

Former Gunners manager Wenger insists he wanted Gnabry to remain with Arsenal, but the 24-year-old was tempted to leave the Premier League amid interest from Bayern.

"We tried to extend his contract for a very long time and I think that Bayern manipulated behind the scenes, that if he went to Bremen he would join Bayern after," Wenger told beIN SPORTS.

"He was always a very talented boy who lacked confidence in some stages, but we always thought we had a player who could achieve a lot.

"He came back from a very bad experience [on loan] at West Brom where his confidence was destroyed. I tried to rebuild him because I believed in him."

Gnabry has scored five goals in nine games for Bayern this season, including four in a 7-2 win over Tottenham in the Champions League earlier this month.

Wenger admits he was surprised to see the German champions dominate against Arsenal's north London rivals.

"They'd just won 3-0 at Paderborn, you wouldn't expect them to come and put seven goals away at Tottenham," he said.

"I think it was one of those nights where everything goes for you and everything against Tottenham."

Gnabry also scored one and set up another for Germany in their 2-2 draw with Argentina on Wednesday.

However, Wenger believes the 24-year-old needs to improve his consistency if he is to be considered one of the world's best players.

"A top-level career is consistency, if you look at the players that dominate our sport it's the ones that show huge consistency and that's what is at stake," he said.

Posted by: celine dion (IP Logged)
Date: 10 October, 2019 18:51

Did anyone REALLY see how good he was going to be?

Be honest.

I watched him a few times. Didnt pull up any trees. He then spent an entire season at West Brom who weren't exactly performing at the time, and Pulis couldn't find a use for him. And you can all laugh at Pulis but actually hes got a fairly decent record in top level football albeit not for the football purists.

So Gnabry might just be that rare thing, a footballer who didnt convince at 17/18 but caught fire 2-3 years later.

Posted by: CazOnARola (IP Logged)
Date: 11 October, 2019 12:53

I can probably pull up a threads (im sure many others can as well) where i called him the next nasri because he had tremendous game sense. He showed more maturity in his epl debut, keeping it completely simple than pepe has, and he would burst into life once he got inside the box knowing that no the defenders couldn't touch him now.

Outside the box he would just keep it simple playing the full back in our keeping possession under pressure and also helping out defensively. He was rewarded with an excellent goal a game later as he grew in confidence, after which he got injured and never got a fair crack again.

He was also very two footed even at that time (thing that impressed me most) , probably only second to cazorla at that time.

On that note i dont think people realize Leno is probably the most two footed goalie in the world. His distribution was excellent last season (off either feet) but his confidence has taken a walloping after the Tottenham game. Martinez is no where near him when it comes to playing with his feet or his positioning.

He should have never been sent on loan if he wasn't fit.

Woj was another bad example of how to manage a player . Wilshere would smoke all the time without any consequences till his contract expired.

Woj should have been taught a lesson but then brought into the fold after a few months. We didn't get anywhere near his value from juve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2019 12:56 by CazOnARola.

Posted by: mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
Date: 12 October, 2019 00:21

[quote celine dion]Did anyone REALLY see how good he was going to be?

Be honest.
/quote]

I was one of those who said he must be kept after his nightmare with Pulis. He is fast with the ball, he can get past players very easily. He is stocky enough that he does not get push off the ball easily. He can shoot with both feet. He gets into good scoring positions. His weakness back then was he did not track back enough to help out the defence.

Posted by: CazOnARola (IP Logged)
Date: 12 October, 2019 04:19

[quote mapleleafgooner][quote celine dion]Did anyone REALLY see how good he was going to be?

Be honest.
/quote]

I was one of those who said he must be kept after his nightmare with Pulis. He is fast with the ball, he can get past players very easily. He is stocky enough that he does not get push off the ball easily. He can shoot with both feet. He gets into good scoring positions. His weakness back then was he did not track back enough to help out the defence.[/quote]
Agree with everything except that defensively be was much better than walcott, ox, iwobi when they first started played for arsenal.

Like i said in his debut on the right wing, he kept it very very simple and played for the team and did good defensively for someone playing their first epl game.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/10/2019 07:13 by CazOnARola.

Posted by: Merlion96 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 October, 2019 03:26

One summer does not make a summer.

I will judge him when he is at his peak at 27-year-old with both Real and Barca howling for his signature.

'We can strive to act as best as we can, but we can never completely control the outcome. … … but if we make our goal simply doing the best we can, then nothing can get in our way' Stoicism

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net