Current Page: 1 of 3
This Arsenal team Is rubbish
Posted by: De Times (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2019 22:01

They seem to be playing a little better today but I can't help but wonder why every single team we play these days, no matter how lowly placed they are, seem to be on the same level as us. Is it because the teams below us have all improved greatly or because our team is just rubbish?

Our current team can't string together four passes at a go, or able to do basic stuffs like opening for passes and positioning, controlling the ball and passing accurately. This is what I see and I can't tell if this is so because I've been spoilt by the quality of football I was already used to under Wenger, or because this team is just a @#$%& poor one. These days you can watch series of Arsenal matches without one single moment of anything special like a wow moment, a creative combo, a skillful dribble or an unbelievable goal. This is what I watch football for not this struggle after struggle to get three points that don't always come. I don't watch football for three points, I wouldn't have been a fan of Arsenal for many trophiless seasons if the quality of football served was this borefest.

I never believe the day would come when I would enjoy writing about what our game used to be or what it needs to be while a live Arsenal match is going on.

The above paragraph is where I was before someone distracted me and I had to abandon the game. So you can now add that I never thought I could ever abandoned a live Arsenal match for anything never mind for something as trivial as the thing that took me away this afternoon while the match was going on. I sleep through most matches these days, I struggle to find something exciting to keep my love for Arsenal but the team keeps getting bad and bad.

The football last season was bad, but at least it was better than this season, which makes me think this is so because the lustre of the old Wenger's team is wearing off the current team. I used to prefer the quick touch fast paced Wengerball over the tiki-taka style of Barcelona which was rather boring. But Guardiola has perfected it and it's now so glorious to watch, especially when there is no Wengerball to compare it with. Arsenal was normally coming up with disappointing results but the game play was always exciting to watch, sometimes better than what most teams up on the table were serving their fans. The current team does not know whether it wants to be an attacking team or a defensive team or in-between, it has no identity. And what is it with all these kids taking up prominent role in the team, is that how we are suppose to be a solid team? This coach obviously does not know what he's doing and the sooner he left the better for the club.

"A club is a union between players, supporters and directors". - Wenger.
Arsene wenger has done an absolutely masterful job within the constraints he has... Every single year, he has outperformed our spending every single year he has been manager. It is extraordinary. -Gazides.

Re: This Arsenal team Is rubbish
Posted by: Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2019 22:20

Basically the premiership has poor teams.

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJGMW0K/roastspurs.gif

Posted by: Padre Pio (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2019 22:53

Quote "And what is it with all these kids taking up prominent role in the team, is that how we are suppose to be a solid team?"

It might be that some of these "kids" are very talented. Best collection of youth (apart from AMN) ive seen since the 1964 - 70 period.

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Posted by: MickTheMan (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2019 00:07

Some of your points are valid DT but you are a troll cnut. Crawling back from your cave when the time is right to moan. I think every one of us (aside from sandy maybe) would want your hero Wenger to be our Fergie. The thing is it's not gonna happen. We must move on. The man was not up for the job for the last decade and we were pure sh*t for the last two years of his reign. Maybe Emery wont take us to the top and maybe he should do better with the personel he has at his disposal but the last transfer window would not happen under Wenger and his structure and we were not able to go forward again under his guidance. You are really making a fool of yourself coming here and pretending that every game under Wenger was pure gold bcos it wasn't. Wengerball ended a long time ago and i miss it dearly just as i miss my teenage years. It was boring and predictable "crab football" most of the time. And how can you criticize Emery for playing kids when one of the main principles of Wenger was to gave them a chance. If you are good enouugh you are old enough. Needless to say that it was another thing neglected and mismanaged at the end of his tenure.

If you cant stand Arsenal winning ugly 1:0 and think that Wengers plunged philosophy is more than the badge than for the sake of your own wellbeing you should start supporting some other club.

Posted by: CazOnARola (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2019 04:27

I don't think it's fair to call this post trolling. Cause this post sums up exactly what i felt yesterday. Almost every single thing.

I don't know what was it about yesterday's game that broke the camel 's back so to speak.

Maybe it's because of the lack of ambition shown against spurs at home, United away and now Bournemouth at home.

I agree with almost every single thing De times posted except for the fact that players are poor.

I think the players are better than wenger ever had. He only had Aubameyang for 5 months and that too he couldn't play Europe.

Plus he never had someone like Tierney, guendouzi or pepe (ever since hleb left, Pepe s better than gervinho at going past ppl).

Also the bit about us playing better last year, yes we blitz a few teams on the counter attack a few times with just 3-4 players (Ramsey's goal at palace?). Iwobi also heavily involved in those.

I just think something happened after the liverpool game. Emery is under a lot of pressure and he is responding by trying to just protect the lead against any opposition in the EPL.

Also the top teams used to dominate the lower half physically in the 90'-2000's, but now most teams (even forrest's second choice team from the championship) can compete physically with all the top teams for pace, size etc.

Of course technically every single team bar spurs is now completely mid table level.

City and pool are miles ahead of course, but city is suffering from complacency while most spurs players and manager want out of the club.

We will easily get top 4 and will start scoring more goals as soon as Tierney becomes first choice, but it will still be predictable how we score those goals.

Its ok to watch if you don't know what is going to happen, but difficult if you know exactly what is going to happen.
Yesterday within the first 2 min you knew exactly what were emery's instructions.

And i put down to one thing that emery doesn't have but wenger had. Job security.

Posted by: MattySadler (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2019 06:47

You're right De Times, we aren't enjoyable to watch at the moment at all. Boring to the point of it actually being really concerning, in fact.

The current manager was bought in to help oversee a much-needed rebuild after the sh*t state the previous management left us in. We had a squad filled with a number of injury prone players (Wilshere, Cazorla, Ramsey, Welbeck), players who weren't good enough (Ospina, Mustafi, Elneny, Jenkinson), exceptionally high earners just going through the motions (Mkhitaryan, Ozil), a core of older players coming to the end of their careers (Cech, Monreal, Koscielny), etc. Unfortunately moving on and replacing such a large number of players wouldn't be a fast process for any club, let alone one with the constraints you mention in your signature. It has taken us the best part of two summer transfer windows to shift most of that lot. Replacing them hasn't exactly been easy either, given the previous management left us stranded in the Europa League.

If Emery doesn't get top four this season he'll be gone. In fact, even if he does I can't see him lasting beyond next season anyway. He's never been able to coach and improve a defence wherever he has been, and (I'm guessing) his concerns about our awful defence have essentially blunted our attack as well. It is a shame it has had to be this way, but that is the state we were left in. I remember looking at United in the first two seasons after Fergie left and thinking "well at least our management will leave us in a better position than that." What a fool I was! We were in no better position. Our previous Chief Executive has taken an awful, underachieving AC Milan side and somehow made them worse, and the only offers our previous manager seems interested in are lucrative punditry gigs, which I think about sums them up. A combination of greed, negligence and complacency has led to this.

Despite this, however, we've still managed to bring through a fairly exciting crop of players via our youth academy, young signings and first team signings. Chambers, Bellerin, Pepe, Holding, Torreira, Maitland-Niles, Mavropanos, Guendouzi, Nketiah, Willock, Nelson, Smith Rowe, Martinelli and Saka are all 24 and under, with Saliba to join that group next season as well. Are they all good enough? Will they all make it? No, but I certainly find it much easier to support and get behind a group of exciting youngsters, many of whom actually support the club themselves, who could achieve anything, instead of the likes of Mustafi, Elneny, Mkhitaryan, Ozil, etc, the latter of whom the previous management allowed to get away with blue murder. As well as these exciting younger players we also have two excellent strikers, possibly the only good thing our management did during their final years, and two good goalkeepers who are only 27. It appears we have learned from the mistakes of our previous management and are trying to put a strong young core in place ready for whoever the next manager is. Off the field, we also seem to have better people in place, including a former Invincible in a role the previous management would never have sanctioned.

See my love of football really took a battering under the previous management. Poor defensively, awful away from home and often very easy to defend against, but hey, you can revise history and pretend everything was hunky dory. Are things perfect on the pitch now? No, not by a long way, but off the pitch we're in a much better place, and on field success will follow eventually, just probably not under the first manager to replace a guy who dictated over everything for 22 years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2019 06:51 by MattySadler.

Posted by: weedz (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2019 07:18

A good assessment Matty.
I reckon that our owner is another base reason for the issues you mention.
Too much a buisiness, not enough a football club. Most of the great clubs run at a loss.
I'm not a fan of self-sustainability unless all opponents play under the same rule.
Either make it like the Germans or don't do it.

Date: 07 October, 2019 10:42

Quote:
MickTheMan aka grayfox
Some of your points are valid DT but you are a troll cnut. Crawling back from your cave when the time is right to moan. I think every one of us (aside from sandy maybe) would want your hero Wenger to be our Fergie. The thing is it's not gonna happen. We must move on. The man was not up for the job for the last decade and we were pure sh*t for the last two years of his reign. Maybe Emery wont take us to the top and maybe he should do better with the personel he has at his disposal but the last transfer window would not happen under Wenger and his structure and we were not able to go forward again under his guidance. You are really making a fool of yourself coming here and pretending that every game under Wenger was pure gold bcos it wasn't. Wengerball ended a long time ago and i miss it dearly just as i miss my teenage years. It was boring and predictable "crab football" most of the time. And how can you criticize Emery for playing kids when one of the main principles of Wenger was to gave them a chance. If you are good enouugh you are old enough. Needless to say that it was another thing neglected and mismanaged at the end of his tenure.
If you cant stand Arsenal winning ugly 1:0 and think that Wengers plunged philosophy is more than the badge than for the sake of your own wellbeing you should start supporting some other club.

First, my post was not about praising Wenger and you fool yourself a big deal if you think so. I would be the first to admit that we were becoming really frustrating to watch under Wenger in his last years, the last one being the worst of them. But if you think the quality of football on display even in that poor season was anything comparable to the rubbish we're seeing now then your hypocrisy is on another level. With Wenger there was always hope that things could get better watching the team play, they would almost always inspire that hope, but often come short for obvious reasons which was very frustrating. With this team however there is no hope of getting better because the team keeps getting bad and bad even in victory. I made this post yesterday while we were a goal up, we weren't losing or playing particularly as bad as we've played in recent times, so the accusation that I pick the right time to moan blahblahblah is pure nonsense.

If you claim that what we were getting under Wenger was boring and predictable (which of course I might agree) then what will you call what we're getting now? The current team cannot do basic stuffs as passing the ball to the next person not far off, they don't even know if they're an attacking team or a defensive one or a team that wants to pass from the back or pass from the front to the back. The sideways and backwards passing is by far the worst in the whole league. Anyone who can stomach this rubbish and still have the mouth to criticize the football under Wenger is the biggest fool walking in a human body.

As for playing kids, Wenger was an expert because he knew exactly what he was doing. You don't play as many as three to four kids at the same time in one football match, you play them with as many big boys as possible and even at that you usher them in gradually. It doesn't matter how talented you think the kids are (they're not that talented anyway, just average players still struggling to find their way), even Lionel Messi was ushered in gradually. If you don't manage young talents well you end up destroying their talents.

What this manager and his apologists need to know is that no matter how bad the situation was under Wenger, he earned the right to be there and the time the club gave to him. This other manager has not earned anything. No matter how bad the football was under Wenger (yes bad but wasn't that bad), this coach was brought to improve it but so far he has taken us several years backward. Under Wenger, even in our very worst seasons, there were moments people would think our team was good enough to win the league because of how they were playing, and that was what kept the fans together for so long, the hope that next season might get better. Under this coach, it is quite obvious that we're going nowhere and the earlier the club acts the better for everyone.

Arsene wenger has done an absolutely masterful job within the constraints he has... Every single year, he has outperformed our spending every single year he has been manager. It is extraordinary. -Gazides.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2019 10:55 by De Times.

Date: 07 October, 2019 11:04

Quote:
Padre Pio
Quote "And what is it with all these kids taking up prominent role in the team, is that how we are suppose to be a solid team?"
It might be that some of these "kids" are very talented. Best collection of youth (apart from AMN) ive seen since the 1964 - 70 period.
I don't know what you're talking about really. There was a time when we had Fabregas, Diaby, Song, Vela, Szczeny, Gibbs, Gnabry, Wishere, Chamberlain, Walcott in our squad. They were all very talented, far talented than what we're seeing now. If not for injuries that destroyed some of their careers they would've all grown to become great players.

So talent is not enough, the management of those talents need to be there as well. The mistake the previous management made was to put the burden of the big team on those young players because they didn't want to spend so much, and it backfired. The current coach is making the same mistake not for want of first team players but simply because the coach doesn't know what he's doing.

Date: 07 October, 2019 11:30

Out of that lot only Gibbs and wIlshere wEre here as schoolboys.

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Date: 07 October, 2019 13:06

Quote:
Padre Pio
Out of that lot only Gibbs and wIlshere wEre here as schoolboys.
What does that even mean? Whether schoolboy or not a young player is a young player.

Date: 07 October, 2019 13:33

No it doesnt, I am talking about players that have come through the academy, that didnt cost a fee.
Players like Walcott or Diaby were developed outside the club and cost a fee, they are not evidence of a successful homegrown youth system.
Also towards the end youth players of the homegrown variety got less and less chances to play in important games. Saka is the youngest player we have ever started at OT is evidence of that.

Posted by: CazOnARola (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2019 15:19

Saka and co. are on par with wilshere, gibbs, woj, etc.

If anything, wilshere was the best of the bunch with world class potential. He impacted more games than our current youngsters.

The current youngsters tho have lower bar to get into the team.

Cesc, flamini, denilson, diaby were being compared with gilberto, viera, edu etc. They also needed to compete with ramsey, wilshere, cazorla etc.
Our current crop of wingers are being compared to auba (on the wings), iwobi, mkhitaryan, ozil, pepe while willock and company are being compared to xhaka, torreira, Ceballos, ozil.

Its not a surprise the current lot looks better than it actually might be cause our first team players are woeful to say the least.

Posted by: Trent2000 (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2019 15:41

What is shocking about this team is the style of play, we are enduring against inferior opponents.

If we were truly an old style Arsenal that could grind out a 1-0, then fine we go for it that way. We all know that that this team can not do it and thus what is our style?

We have an abundance of attacking talent, with the right service, can be up there with he best in the league.

Why get outplayed against inferior opponents or play quasi park the bus?

The joy of the old Arsenal is starting to erode and will eventually turn a lot of fans of the team away, just saying.

Emery is the one responsible for the tactics and style, not anyone else.

Date: 07 October, 2019 17:17

Arsenal paid 9.1 million for Walcott, Diaby was 21 when he joined Arsenal for an undisclosed fee. They are not in same category as Wilshere or Saka who were academy develope players with no transfer fee. Its comparing apples with oranges.

Posted by: SandyB (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2019 20:25

Bring back Wenger thread? (Sm6) Not gonna happen.

Posted by: mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2019 21:01

I think with the current crop of young players from the Wenger and Emery era, Arsenal is in very good shape. The football might be boring now but as long as we get the results needed, we will be fine. Our wing play is going to get much better and will be a threat to many teams. Our current midfielders other than Willock and Guendouzi are not dynamic enough and when that bunch is removed, we should see a revitalized attacking force. Emery knows our current midfielders lack the pace to recover in the event of a counter so he is playing it safe to secure a result. Frustrating but as long as results are in our favour, I am good.

Posted by: celine dion (IP Logged)
Date: 10 October, 2019 16:21

Ah, De Times, I have been expecting you. This is of course, a thinly disguised 'bring back Wenger' post. Theres a lot of it about. You can read it on twitter every day. People who think that if they moan enough about Emery, that there will be some kind of second coming, very much like Napoleons first return from exile in 1815, where Wenger will ride through North London on a white horse, and wrestle back control of the club. Perhaps Gazidis will come back as well, because I wouldn't say he's got much longer at AC Milan from where Im sitting.

Anyway, Wenger wont be coming back, because actually he's got no intention of returning to football management. Although he likes talking about how many offers he's had on BIEN sports. His most likely destination is that bastion of moral rectitude FIFA, which should tell you everything you need to know about the man.

I think we can agree on one thing, that Wengers style of football was pleasing on the eye, as long as you had no real interest in the result. I watched a lot of it, and yes, the players did shape better, they did string more passes together, the attacking movement was generally better. Even the defenders could play football. But it was generally at a cost, and that cost was that we often shipped 2-3 goals a match. 5 or 6 sometimes. I remember once we conceded eight. So the games were certainly more entertaining.

I remember once being so entertained by one of our passages of play under Wenger, that I actually froze my TV set, and took some photos of our field positions, to keep for ever. It was during one of our highly embarrassing defeats at Anfield, I think it was the one where they were 4-0 up after half an hour. Theres been so many I find it hard to remember the year. Anyway, Arsenal started their fancy football, Koscielny did a dainty flick to Arteta, who shaped perfectly and laid the ball effortlessly off to some other useless ****, for the sake of argument we shall say its Walcott. I expect Ozil was in there too, if he wasn't on holiday for that match. Yes look, its gone to Mezut who has played a delicious overhead chip to Giroud. Sadly Giroud was standing in the the wrong place, and BANG, Liverpool have got the ball and Sturridge is steaming into our half, with ONE DEFENDER to stop him (who didn't). Thats right, first minute of a match at Anfield, and we've all bombed into Liverpools half without a care in the world or a defender to be seen.

So if you want to watch pleasing football with no interest in whether it is successful or not, why not just watch old videos of Arsenal under Wenger. Don't put yourself through the tedium of our current games.

For the record, I don't care much about Emery. But hes doing about as well as I would expect him to.
He's particularly annoyed me in the Europa league final by playing Cech. Absolute rank self indulgence along the lines of Wenger playing Fabianski in the cup final the day before getting rid of him. Indeed the end of last season wasn't great, but credit to him, because he's gone about trying to f**K as many of the culprits out of the club as possible, including the last embodiment of the Wenger era, Mezut No-zil. And hes not done badly. Theres only about half of that team still at the club or likely to play another game. I can't knock that attitude and I cant see why anyone would.

Moving onto this season,I dont completely agree that the matches are painful dirge whereas Wenger's were some feast of inventive football, like watching an exhibition match by Brazil circa 1970. By the end, Wenger's football became extremely formulaic, the main objective was to get the full backs to overlap and deliver a low cross, which is exactly the same as what Emery does. Both managers in fact, Wenger in his last few years, and Emery now, are hamstrung not by some extreme idealogical difference, but by not having that many really good players at their disposal. Because we are in the Europa league. Some of Wengers performances in his last 2-3 years, and not even the ones we laugh about where we got tanked off the park, were completely uninspiring in terms of footballing style, even at home.

People are also imposing their own narrative on Emery, as they did on Wenger. In the world of social media, this is immensely powerful and hard to adjust. Depending on who you read and who you follow, opinions very quickly align themselves into those of a group or faction. And the pervading narrative here is that Emerys football is not exciting to watch, or that he is failing in his objectives to move Arsenal forward.

Now, I will concede, if you look at certain games, and ignore others, then its hard to disagree. The Watford game was a debacle and I actually questioned Emerys right to manage the club after that game. I understand that people who were at the Bournemouth game were very bored indeed and that it was a turgid affair. Ive even read people say that 'Arsenal had no shots on goal in the second half' which surprised me because Ive got a recording of Match of the Day which shows them hitting the post from a flowing move. The United game wasn't great shakes either, and United certainly aren't playing well. But then again they've beaten Chelsea and Leicester there this season. We beat Newcastle, playing well within ourselves, who have since beaten Tottenham and United. We beat VILLA 3-2 playing with 10 men for the whole of the second half. Villa who have gone to Norwich 2 weeks later and won 5-1 away. Thats a REMARKABLE performance. The effort to claw back from 2-0 down at home to Tottenham, where we DESTROYED them second half, absolutely DESTROYED them, that didnt look too boring either. The two Europa league games, where hes fielded a bunch of kids and wiped the floor with the opposition, including a 3-0 win away in the Bundesliga. These are the kind of feats that used to have the Wenger brigade absolutely PURRING, even though they used to often be followed up by a 3-1 defeat at Brighton or somewhere two days later. But they are now largely ignored. Games like the Burnley game, again, another win, were much the same as we got under Wenger. Much the same attacking flow broken up by episodes of fallibility in midfield and poor defending. Plus, hes played the entire league season so far without Bellerin, Holding, and Tierney, who are very likely to form 3 of his first choice defence. And Lacazette has been either half fit or not available at all. Some of your points about 'not playing 3 or 4 kids at a time' is absolute NONSENSE. Because Emery isnt playing 3 or 4 kids at a time. Most people wish he would, we wish he would play Willock and not Xhaka. Martinelli is worth a punt in the starting line up as well.

In short, there's massive agendas at play here. Emery will never be accepted by the top table Wenger brigade because he's the big bad wolf that replaced their daddy. You may as well admit it, we could get f*cking Klopp and Guardiola in as a two man dream team double act and there would still be some of you moaning because we only beat Man City 8-0 when it should have been 9-0.
If you talk to people who watch Arsenal at the ground then they will say the style of football is flat but a lot of them are realistic enough to understand that its perhaps necessary to conserve attacking style in favour of pragmatism, to get back into the CL. Once we achieve that, the bigger players will come, some of the younger ones will have proven themselves, some not (Reiss Nelson springs to mind), and then it may well be time to move Emery on and bring someone else in. We are back in the real world now, after the twilight zone of the Wenger years. Theres no reason why the bloke will be here in 1-2 years time. Its horses for courses.

It is also extremely difficult to win games in the premier league and I cant think of that many managers who achieve the challenge of zippy entertaining football to a recognisable, attractive tactical style, AND winning a lot of games, WITHOUT spending money that is given to them by an oil producing state. Especially when we've got discerning punters like yourself who claim to have been 'bored' by the sight of Barcelonas Tiki Taka accomplishments, who others recognise as perhaps the best football team of all time.

Oh wait a minute, yes I can think of ONE manager who manages to do both things. His names Jurgen Klopp and his Liverpool side are clear at the top of the table and Champions of Europe. A lot of people like me used to talk about him as a suitable replacement for Wenger, but we used to get shot down by people asking 'what he'd won' (well, several Bundesliga titles but they dont count' apparently) and generally poo-pooing him as some kind of inferior version of Wenger. Well De Times, as they say, 'you reap, what you sow.'

good afternoon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2019 16:26 by celine dion.

Date: 10 October, 2019 18:49

Brilliant most enjoyable

Posted by: Shane (IP Logged)
Date: 10 October, 2019 22:24

Quote:
celine dion
In short, there's massive agendas at play here. Emery will never be accepted by the top table Wenger brigade because he's the big bad wolf that replaced their daddy.

This is true, but the opposite is equally true I think, that Emery gets a lot more favour than he presently merits by those who viscerally disliked Wenger. There's agenda on both sides. The most pro-Emery fans were the most anti-Wenger ones, and the hardest anti-Emery supporters were previously staunch AKBs.

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net