Current Page: 1 of 2
Guendouzi.
Posted by: Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 15:14

Reports that we are set to open contract talks with him after season.

football.london understands that no talks have yet taken place over an extension and sources close to Guendouzi indicate that they are unlikely to begin until the season is over, by which time the French youth international will have just two years remaining on the £40,000-a-week contract he signed when he arrived in England.

Arsenal would be prepared to offer Guendouzi a significant increase on those wages.

Really not sure we should be upping his wages.

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJGMW0K/roastspurs.gif

Re: Guendouzi.
Posted by: CazOnARola (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 16:03

We should and then sell him once he signs. If a stupid offer comes in around 50-55mn like everton has been paying for kean/iwobi, sell guen

Date: 12 February, 2020 16:36

Quote:
CazOnARola
We should and then sell him once he signs. If a stupid offer comes in around 50-55mn like everton has been paying for kean/iwobi, sell guen

I agree with selling him

Posted by: Gooner Sod (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 17:05

Why would you guys want us to sell such a young player with so much untapped potential? Would you guys be saying this if he was English? I get a sense of bias here.
No one is calling for Willock or Nelson to be sold and Guendouzi is head and shoulders above both in terms of contribution and potential (imo). He's also slightly younger too.

The raw talent is there and the boy can improve drastically with good coaching and also just experience and maturing as a player.

We aren't a big club that can just buy ready made world class CMs for £70m & even if we could. Why would they come when we aren't in Champions League.

We really have to keep the young ones and hope they become world class. We have a really good crop at moment and selling for profit aint the answer.

''No one saw me coming - No problem. I always believed.
Kept working, found my killer instinct. Relentless? Yes. Patient? Always. Quick? You'll see.
I am Nico and I am here''

N. Pepe, Arsenal FC.

Date: 12 February, 2020 17:18

Nothing to do with nationality .
Basically he's poor.
And if we can get crazy money for him we should snatch there hands off.

When the team is sorted he will never be a starter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2020 17:21 by Boston Gooner.

Posted by: djarse (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 17:43

Agree with Gooner Sod - can't understand what people are so negative about such a young player with obvious potential to improve

Date: 12 February, 2020 18:09

Over the past decade i haven't seen someone improve their football brain at arsenal. Wilshere inspite of being 10 times more talented than any young player currently at the club, just couldn't learn to release the ball quickly and not keep holding on to it. A half decent wilshere of 2014 would of course walk into the current team, that's how bad the current midfield is.

I don't see guendouzi improving on his football brain. Saka is already better at decision making than him.
Its ok for forwards to be ball hoggers at times cause they will score goals and not have as many touches over 90 min but not a midfielder who is always involved in the game.

About willock, if he wasn't English he would be the first one id sell followed by Nketiah. But unfortunately FA demands us to keep some home grown players, so we have no choice there until we have better English players.

I wouldn't sell him for 20-35mn, even though he cost us way less. But an offer above 45mn can get us a first choice CM and guendouzi should be nowhere near our starting 11.

Id start xhaka and Torreira over anybody paired with guendouzi in midfield every single day. He's a squad player. That's it.

Date: 12 February, 2020 22:23

He has no potential.
He hasn't the brain or know how.

Keep him and he will be another on top money sitting on his backside not playing.

Date: 12 February, 2020 23:02

Quote:
Boston Gooner
He has no potential.
He hasn't the brain or know how.

Keep him and he will be another on top money sitting on his backside not playing.

This is complete nonsense. Most decent players are nowhere near his level at this point in development. He's had a lot of decent games for someone so young in a very average team.

I don't get the negativity and entitlement from Arsenal fans. Yeah let's sell youngsters the likes of youngsters Guendouzi. I'm sure we can use the money to buy top midfielders Pogba. Those type of talent are desperate to be here.

Kept working, found my killer instinct. Relentless? Yes. Patient? Always. Quick? You'll see.

N. Pepe, Arsenal FC.

Date: 12 February, 2020 23:14

So your happy to continue with Guendouzi In our midfield ?

So be it.

Posted by: weedz (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 23:58

Quote:
Boston Gooner
So be it.

You have to look at the bigger picture, Boston.
We're near enough to skint. That's obvious.
In the last 2 transfer windows we've bought players on the never, never or made loan signings.
Pepe, our club record signing won't be all ours until his contract is into its last 2 years.
Leggoman has to sell to buy and we are now looking to sign players who are being counted by the likes of Everton and Westham.
So what I'm saying is the young talent we've got at the moment has to be our best chance to get out of this rut we are in.
And I also reckon we are 4 to 5 years away from that point. We have a Euro league chance of getting back to the CL, but that is all, IMO.

Self sustainable is a word that rich people with short arms and deep pockets use.

Date: 13 February, 2020 01:17

Weedz that is why your all when someone is paying twice the value of a player. You buy lower and sell higher.

Wenger made profit in transfer windows but dick laws negotiation skills were crap.. We got 35mn for peak fabregas at 25 years age when the torres s were going for 50mn. Nasri 25 mn. Henry 25mn a year or so after coming in 3rd as the best player in the world.

We have sold players, but not at their peak value.

The only way to come out of this rut is to keep buying better and selling higher in order to find purchases to keep balancing the squad.

Martinelli is the one that we should try to keep at all costs as he could easily be our bale/coutinho, a 100mn+ player. So it's worth the gamble not to sell even if someone offers 70mn next year for him.

Guendouzi will never fetch more than 60mn imho as his ceiling is his brain. So if we get a stupid offer we should take it and reinvest.

Posted by: weedz (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2020 02:20

You may be correct Caz, but I don't want Arsenal turned into a selling club.
We are a bigger club than that, my friend. Too much history for that.
Fans like us debate the smaller and more trivial issues.
The day to day stuff, but there is a major, base issue that will hang from our necks, slowing us down to the point where we will cease to be competitive.
That's our owner.
And no amount of Harry Rednap deals is gonna fix that.

Self sustainable is a word that rich people with short arms and deep pockets use.

Date: 13 February, 2020 03:28

Nokia went out of business and was sold to Microsoft 2 years after it was at the top of the world work about 65% market share.
That's the world we live in.. History counts for absolutely zilch. "We are not a selling club" , "keep sanchez for the final year of his contract. Leaving on bosman is ok if it gives us time to convince him to sign a new deal", "we can't keep selling our best players " is exactly why we could never sell our assets at their peak value.

The bigger pbm was never that we sold players. The bigger pbm was that we were desperate to sell them and used that money to pay off debt rather than reinvest that money.

Have Chelsea missed Matic? No because they sold him when he refused to sign that contract and reinvested.

We are at a point in time where the owner cannot even pump in money directly due to FFP (not that he wants to).
The only way where can do that is by shady Stadium naming rights etc, something that city are accused of with their deals.
City and Chelsea pumped in billions when there were no regulations and created a fortress and their global brand and now the doors are close for anybody else to do it and thereby there is no threat to that brand.

The only way we buy improve the squad is to earn that money ourselves since the TV money cannot be used for transfers as per FFP rules. Only commercial deals and operating revenues.

Only way to increase operating revenue is to buy lower and sell higher. Don't forget we made a 27mn pound loss last year.

We need to have our torrres, suarez, bale, coutinho, sterling moments to fund our own van dijk, fabinho or even the next pepe.

Date: 13 February, 2020 08:53

We should be more worried about getting Bukayo Saka to sign a new contract.

Date: 13 February, 2020 09:01

Quote:
Boston Gooner
Completely agree. I rate him higher than Martinelli in terms of ceiling because he has a terrific football brain

Date: 13 February, 2020 15:30

Quote:
Boston Gooner
So be it.

He is still so young that it makes no sense selling him already. He doesn't have to be a starter. Torreira & Xhaka's replacement can be the CM pairing. Then if Guendouzi keeps improving under Arteta, he can force his way in. I've already noticed he is more disciplined positionally since Arteta came in.

N. Pepe, Arsenal FC.

Date: 13 February, 2020 15:31

Quote:
CazOnARola
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Completely agree. I rate him higher than Martinelli in terms of ceiling because he has a terrific football brain

They are both phenomenal talents and the two gems out of 5 or 6 youngsters currently. I personally feel Martinelli has that X factor that few players in the world have. The boy just seems to smell goals.

Very excited to watch their developments going forward.

N. Pepe, Arsenal FC.

Date: 16 February, 2020 23:32

I'm not that convinced he is part of Arteta's future team anyway.

Posted by: Merlion96 (IP Logged)
Date: 17 February, 2020 01:35

Depending on his ability to learn and develop tactical awareness under Arteta.

Look at OX.
A frustrating figure under Wenger.
Look at him now under Klopp.

Look at Salah.
A frustrating figure under Mourinho.
Look at him now under Klopp.

Look Jordan Henderson under Brendan Rodgers.
A much derisory figure with Anfield crowd then.
Look at him under Klopp now.

Guendouzi is a raw talent with potential.
Depending on whether Arteta can transform him like he did with Sterling.

I will render open verdict on Martinelli, Saka, Guendouzi, Nelson, Nketiah and Willock now.
I saw too many failures with Wenger Wunderkind when they were worldclass at their age group with "vast" potential … but a flop in senior team.

I saw many ManU talented young strikers like Macheda that burst onto the scene for one season … and then disappeared. Therefore, I wouldn't hold my breathe with Martinelli and when Barca and ManU turned him down, there are flaws in him and whether Arteta can correct them we will know in 2 to 3 seasons.

Guendouzi, like the rest of the talented youngsters, deserved a run in the team and up to Mikel Arteta to sort the wheat from the chaff this season and to decide who to retain and who to sell in the summer.

Nihilism: 'An examination of the meaning of meaninglessness: why it matters that nothing matters'

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net