Your favourite Arsenal player
Posted by: goonerred (IP Logged)
Date: 23 March, 2020 21:07

Who is your favourite Arsenal player and why? Not an easy call, probably like me, you like different players for different reason. It can be from any era.

Re: Your favourite Arsenal player
Posted by: Padre Pio (IP Logged)
Date: 23 March, 2020 22:04

So many, so many and so many good defenders to leave out.
I have watched Arsenal for seven decades, and seen great players in every one of those decades, even when we didnt win things there were still great players.
In the mid sixties we were very poor but we had a great player George Eastham a World Cup Winners Medalist. He was a ball player, frail legs like matchsticks, but somehow he evaded brutal defenders to make great plays or score great goals. The only trophy I think he won was the League Cup with Stoke City, before you puke City was the then home of Stanley Matthews and the team Eastham scored against to win the Yoghurt Cup or whatever it was called then was Chelsea, whats not to like?

Alan Ball was the next ball player to become my hero an amazing player, another World Cup Winner and broke the transfer record for Arsenal at 200,000 Xmas 1972. He was amazing a truly modern player, ran box to box, fit in anywhere. Was a tiny winger who played striker to stop Arsenal being relegated in the immediate post double years. He got a strikers tally and Arsenal stayed up. He seemed to be able to use every square inch of his boots, to pass and shoot, never caught hanging on to the ball too long. Only problem was he was too bright for most of them. A Ball of fire.

Finally another ball/playmaker come striker Dennis Berkamp who arrived in the 90s and and stayed until the very end of Old Highbury. Strangely he never won the World Cup but scored one of the greatest goals ever in it, the one against Argentina, I remember it being rated in the all time top ten somewhere. And of course scored some amazing goals for Arsenal and some amazing through balls and flicks. Possibly his act of genius at Newcastle was his greatest, but that wasnt a trademark goal of his but a brilliant one off, no accident but a force of nature that will never be copied.

So that's three not one okay you are forcing me to choose, and the winner is ....
Bergkamp!
Why?
Because after a poor start he won a lot with Arsenal and that was partly because he had a nasty streak, he had amazing skills, understood space time and geometry, but he always had time for a whiff of sulphur and the cloven hoof. I have seen many goals and they all meld into one, Bergy has two goals I will never forget. But my happiest moment was when he forearm smashed the most annoying player in the Premiership Steve Lomas in the first half of an important cup tie. In those days there were no wimps, no blamed Bergy, the team when on and beat West Ham. It also probably explains why most thuggish players kept away from him.
What a player, he had everything, enforcer, scorer, playmaker, and winner of trophies.
The Ice Man is my number one

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Posted by: tigerline (IP Logged)
Date: 24 March, 2020 10:13

Bergkamp is why I became an Arsenal fan.

Posted by: goonerred (IP Logged)
Date: 24 March, 2020 10:36

There are lots of great Arsenal player who have come and gone and it is hard to chose just one as I like lots but for different reasons and for different roles they played at Arsenal.
Bergkamp was a great, I’ll never forget when he pirouetted through Newcastle’s defence and scored. Vieira, great captain and tough. We never really replaced him. Loved his antics with Keane. The defence that Wenger inherited, Dixon, Adams, Bouldie, Keown, Winterburn, and our goalie, Seaman. Ian wright, Wright, Wright. Loved him and still love him now that he’s a pundit. I loved watching Llungberg.
My favourite player has to Thierry Henry, I know it’s a bit of a cliché, but he was one of those players who could hang around for 89 minutes doing very little, them bang. He pops up and scores the winning goal, a good one at that. He had energy and pace in attack, when he got the ball it was just exciting to see what would happen. He used to dribble past players in the box. (How did we stop doing that to just passing on the edge of the box, then latterly, lose the ball? I think Pepe can do this – we’ll see.) I’ll never forget that goal against United when, with his back to the goal, he flicked it up as he turned and volleyed it right past Barthez into the corner. To me, he epitomised The Invincibles. Those were the days; those were the times to be an Arsenal fan. Wenger created that and it’s a shame all his earlier work went sour and many fans turned on him. Thanks for the memories Arsene, let us not forget those days!

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/03/2020 11:14 by goonerred.

Posted by: Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
Date: 24 March, 2020 11:05

Soft spot for Brady & Rocky.

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJGMW0K/roastspurs.gif

Posted by: Flava (IP Logged)
Date: 24 March, 2020 20:13

Such a tough question but if I had to choose it would be Ian Wright Wright Wright. What a player.. I was 20 when he joined so my match days were spent watching Wrighty score then drinking as much beer as I could.

Vieira, Fàbregas, Charlie Nicholas and Adams all run him close

Posted by: weedz (IP Logged)
Date: 24 March, 2020 20:56

Like Padre, DB10 is my favourite of all time.
And for reasons Padre has given.
Others who need a special mention
TH14
PV4
Marc Overmars ( short career with us I know, but...)
And Liam Brady.

Self sustainable is a word that rich people with short arms and deep pockets use.

Posted by: plonky (IP Logged)
Date: 24 March, 2020 20:56

Quote:
Flava
I was 20 when he joined so my match days were spent watching Wrighty score then drinking as much beer as I could.

This could be Tony Adam's answer.

Posted by: Bergmars (IP Logged)
Date: 25 March, 2020 20:37

First real fav was Jon Sammels then Brady but all time fav would be Bergy

Under new managment

Posted by: Jonny Bravo (IP Logged)
Date: 25 March, 2020 21:30

As a goalie in my youth it was David Seaman, however for his sheer quality and the joy both he and the fans got from the goals he scored it has to be Wrighty.

Posted by: Shane (IP Logged)
Date: 26 March, 2020 16:37

I like some Arsenal players more than him - particularly Giroud and I'm not being cool or edgy or different - but Vieira was the first player that I was obsessed with.

I remember in my early teens, when it was all about Pro Evo and not FIFA, I used to play him as a centre-back. Why? Because there was more chance of him scoring, like from a corner, and I loved when he scored, even in the virtual reality that is Playstation 2 games. It was the same in Championship Manager. I always played with Fulham for some reason but when I did go with Arsenal, I'd always get a world-record £100 million bid from Real Madrid in the 2001-02 edition and I'd never sell him. Ever. It seemed like a betrayal. Bear in mind I was 13 or 14.

And remember text alerts? I don't know if they were a thing in the UK, but in Ireland you could subscribe to some service in the early noughties where you'd get text alerts from every Premier League goal that goes in, and one day myself and the lads are in town and I get notified on my 3310 that he'd scored against Sunderland and it made my day. Genuinely.

And remember the Vicks on his chest? The lads would rib me that it wasn't Vicks at all, but semen, and I'd get all protective and be like, 'No it is actually Vicks to help him breathe during the games'. That's a true story. Why does nobody do that anymore? Or was he the only one who ever did it?

This other time, in a shop called Arnotts in Dublin, we went in to get names printed on the back of our shirts. I guess this would've been the start of the 2002-03 season because I wanted a gold Premier League badge on the sleeves and they didn't have one. Aye it was that season because one of the lads got Diouf and that was his first season. Anyway, your man made a bollox of the lettering and left a fairly big gap in between the E and I, so it looked sort of stupid, but I don't think you can re-do those things. Once it's ironed on that's that I think. It's like tarmac in the sense that if you make a dog's dick of it, you can't really do much about it.

For some reason I don't remember being that upset when he left. I would've just turned 17 so maybe it's because I was a little older. Or maybe it's because I was bitter about him leaving, because I do remember taking great joy in the fact we knocked him out of the Champions League in his first season with Juventus.

Who knows. What I do know is that for a time, I loved him to pieces.

Posted by: younghansolo (IP Logged)
Date: 26 March, 2020 17:23

I love threads like this because they make me think about why I love Arsenal and back to when I was young and football was just pure..pleasure AND pain.

For me it probably goes like this:

Ian Wright
The first footballer I became obsessed with. As a middle-class white kid living in Derby, I would run around shouting how I was Ian Wright with no concept in my head at all of race. I was probably one of about three Arsenal fans who lived in the city back then having moved from London. I was obsessed with his ability to be so fast and dynamic. Pure ruthless aggression. I have spent my whole life arguing that he was better than Shearer and deserved more caps for England.

David Seaman
I'm not sure what it is I was so drawn to, but I loved Dave Seaman. I remember as a young adult in one of his final seasons witnessing Lauren and a couple of other players getting straight onto the coach ignoring fans. But David Seaman signed every autograph. Every single one. I was so proud to support England's number one and he never failed us.

Thierry Henry
As a young adult this man was everything. I always thought Bergkamp was the most technical player I'd ever seen, but Henry was just magic. It's fitting that we became invincible because that's how I felt whenever he played. I always, always thought we would score with him on the pitch. It wasn't even in doubt.

Cesc Fabregas
As I are up and played football myself I always looked for players to model myself on and Cesc was probably the last one for me. I've never seen a player so intelligent on the ball and with such an amazing range of passing. I became obsessed with him. And when he scored against Milan I' not afraid to say I cried like crazy. I remember going to watch England vs Spain and Cesc was warming up at half time and my Dad (Who's opinion on footballers I value the most) asked: "who's he his technique is incredible, literally perfect" I was so proud to tell him it was Cesc Fabregas, the young Arsenal midfielder.

Notable Mentions to Robin Van Persie - best left foot I've ever seen.
Alexis Sanchez - The last world class all round player we had.

Posted by: Flava (IP Logged)
Date: 26 March, 2020 20:36

Quote:
plonky
Quote:
Flava
I was 20 when he joined so my match days were spent watching Wrighty score then drinking as much beer as I could.

This could be Tony Adam's answer.

(Sm128)

Posted by: plonky (IP Logged)
Date: 27 March, 2020 09:49

Quote:
Padre Pio

Alan Ball was the next ball player to become my hero

I was at WHL in the mid 70's and we were cruising to a win (2-0 I think). Alan Ball was running the game and near the end he stood on top of the ball bang in front of The Shelf and saluted each side of the ground. Their lot were not happy. Great player and of course a world cup winner.

Do you remember Alan Hudson joining us about that time. He only played a few games but was a fantastic talent. How much would those two cost today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/03/2020 09:57 by plonky.

Posted by: djarse (IP Logged)
Date: 27 March, 2020 11:25

1 Bergkamp

2 Henry

3 Brady

4 Vieira

Brady was brilliant but I saw him a lot less often than DB and TH, hence the order above.

Posted by: Padre Pio (IP Logged)
Date: 27 March, 2020 12:32

Yes its not about who the best player is but who was your favourite player.
Could even be Gus Ceaser

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Posted by: Shane (IP Logged)
Date: 27 March, 2020 19:19

Shoutout to Diaby too. I had an enormous amount of time for him. I did a night course in sports writing across 2011 and 2012 and chose to do my final assignment on him. Really beautiful footballer and really interesting too; not so much his personal life or background, but the fact he's a bit lanky, a bit gangly, and yet very graceful with the ball.

Posted by: MickTheMan (IP Logged)
Date: 29 March, 2020 18:50

Quote:
Shane

And remember the Vicks on his chest? The lads would rib me that it wasn't Vicks at all, but semen, and I'd get all protective and be like, 'No it is actually Vicks to help him breathe during the games'. That's a true story. Why does nobody do that anymore? Or was he the only one who ever did it?

Lol i never knew what it was but my brother would say exact same thing claiming it was 'Wengers spunk'. I was furious with him and he would mock me every time we saw Arsenal play.

Kids stuff. Those were the days...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net