AFTV remove Claude for racist remark.
Posted by: Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
Date: 15 July, 2020 09:24

AFTV have removed regular guest Claude “indefinitely” after he made a racist remark about Tottenham Hotspur forward Son Heung-min, with channel owner Robbie Lyle issuing an apology after putting out a video attempting to absolve him of making such a slur.

During Sunday’s AFTV broadcast of the north London derby between Spurs and Arsenal, Claude Callegari was heard to say “DVD’s going off” when Son was substituted late in the match.

The term ‘DVD’ is a derogatory slur aimed at Asian people, which depicts them as someone who sells illegal DVDs.

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJGMW0K/roastspurs.gif

Re: AFTV remove Claude for racist remark.
Posted by: AJ The Gunner (IP Logged)
Date: 15 July, 2020 10:18

What a shame. People need to be careful what they say.

Wenger Is Gone Now So Can We Be Allowed To Breathe Now???

Posted by: Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
Date: 15 July, 2020 11:15

Quote:
AJ The Gunner
What a shame. People need to be careful what they say.

Indeed.
So many words (with different meanings. What I had no knowledge of) I have used through my long life sound pretty harmless but can get you in a lot of trouble now.

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJGMW0K/roastspurs.gif

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/07/2020 11:17 by Boston Gooner.

Posted by: Padre Pio (IP Logged)
Date: 15 July, 2020 12:41

People who use the term DvD as banter know what they are doing.
Hardly anyone uses the term these days as rarely see DvD sellers in pubs or on street anymore.
Its not an insult that accidentaly comes to mind.

"When we had to suffer the team is a lion because they suffer together." 4 July 2020 at Wolverhampton Wanderers
Arteta on his team's first away victory at a club above them in the Premiership since September 2015 at Leicester.

Posted by: mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
Date: 15 July, 2020 14:10

Won't be surprise if Claude had one too many prior to the interview.

Posted by: Shane (IP Logged)
Date: 15 July, 2020 16:52

I do have an issue with Cancel Culture and how easy it is for the masses to get somebody sacked, even when the crime doesn't fit the punishment, but I've no issue with Claude being fired.

I never knew it was a racial slur but he clearly used it as one. The defence he used that it was a reference to Spurs making DVDs on the back of big wins just makes zero sense whatsoever.

Posted by: Ares (IP Logged)
Date: 15 July, 2020 16:52

Many Legitimate DVD (Optical Drives) for video game consoles, computers, notebooks, home entertainment systems, Computer Chips (Processors and the like) are Manufactured in South Korea.

If a canadian was playing and you said lol there goes maple... would that be racist, naughty, banter, accurate or something else.

A lot of the hardware we use to play digital media is made in Korea.

If you know this and you say: off goes DVD basing this on your ownership and enjoyment of high quality Korean Digital Media Devices then the intent there would not be racist but more in line with say... seeing a Canadian player go off and saying, oh, there goes Maple.

I don't watch aftv. Is this a regular thing he does.

Date: 15 July, 2020 18:27

Quote:
Ares
Many Legitimate DVD (Optical Drives) for video game consoles, computers, notebooks, home entertainment systems, Computer Chips (Processors and the like) are Manufactured in South Korea.
If a canadian was playing and you said lol there goes maple... would that be racist, naughty, banter, accurate or something else.

A lot of the hardware we use to play digital media is made in Korea.

If you know this and you say: off goes DVD basing this on your ownership and enjoyment of high quality Korean Digital Media Devices then the intent there would not be racist but more in line with say... seeing a Canadian player go off and saying, oh, there goes Maple.

I don't watch aftv. Is this a regular thing he does.

Sadly the slur DvD doesnt refer to the fine technical prowess of the far east. It refers to poor people , usually from China, Vietnam etc who sold knocked off DvDs in British Pubs for a living. They often had limited English and the sales technique was mainly to shout DvD.
So in the early 2000s some english fans would yell DvD at players from Korea, China and Japan. Its racism because its using a stereotype of a derogatory nature.

"When we had to suffer the team is a lion because they suffer together." 4 July 2020 at Wolverhampton Wanderers
Arteta on his team's first away victory at a club above them in the Premiership since September 2015 at Leicester.

Posted by: Flava (IP Logged)
Date: 15 July, 2020 20:12

It should be noted that they only kicked Clayde out when ‘Harry’s razors’ no longer wished to work with AFTV. I suspect other sponsors would drop them too.

I think Robbie started the channel with good intentions, unfortunately it’s full of tw.ats like DT and Troopz

Date: 15 July, 2020 22:40

And saddos like Claude

Posted by: MattySadler (IP Logged)
Date: 15 July, 2020 22:52

Yeah racist remark referring to the stereotype that people from that part of the world try to sell knock off DVDs. I remember buying one myself in the pub when I was 16/ 17.

They're right to sack him for it as that's clearly the sort of comment he comes out with off-camera (I believe he also referred to Elneny as 'Tutankhamen' once), but as Flava says the AFTV @#$%& have only done it because a sponsor has dropped them, which is just typical of them.

I also saw his attempted 'apology' video, which was a shambles. Effectively tried to say "it's okay because Frank Lampard joke about it once", when he absolutely knows he didn't mean it in that way.

Posted by: Ares (IP Logged)
Date: 15 July, 2020 23:28

Thanks for the lesson Padre.

Date: 16 July, 2020 17:55

Well if Frank Lampard said somethings all right it must be wrong (Sm20)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net