Current Page: 1 of 2
Thoughts
Posted by: Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
Date: 17 October, 2020 19:37

Leno cost us again. Easy save which any decent goalkeeper would have pushed wide and could have even caught the ball.

Gabriel is a great signing.

Tierney needs to hit the gym. He's too weak at this level.

We've got no plan in big away games apart from the counter attack. Arteta has to change this immediately .

We need 3 players in attacking players. Creative midfielder, winger and a forward. We're too predictable and our struggles away at the top 6 will continue unless we sign better attacking players in January.

Auba needs a wake up call. He's been dreadful since signing his contract which I feared would happen

Saka is the big positive. He can become a top player if he continues working hard.

Re: Thoughts
Posted by: Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
Date: 17 October, 2020 20:18

Leno isn't a top class keeper.

Gabriel will be a good signing. Long way to go yet though.

Tierney can't defend. Said it before.

Not sure what tactics Arteta was trying today. We had more of an attacking team out but you wouldn't have thought so.

Auba needs a wake up call ? Maybe.
But without Lacazette he gets no help at all really.

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJGMW0K/roastspurs.gif

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/10/2020 22:03 by Boston Gooner.

Posted by: TheReMarkable (IP Logged)
Date: 17 October, 2020 22:18

Quote:
Gunnersingh1
Leno cost us again. Easy save which any decent goalkeeper would have pushed wide and could have even caught the ball.
Gabriel is a great signing.

Tierney needs to hit the gym. He's too weak at this level.

We've got no plan in big away games apart from the counter attack. Arteta has to change this immediately .

We need 3 players in attacking players. Creative midfielder, winger and a forward. We're too predictable and our struggles away at the top 6 will continue unless we sign better attacking players in January.

Auba needs a wake up call. He's been dreadful since signing his contract which I feared would happen

Saka is the big positive. He can become a top player if he continues working hard.

Agreed 100% with this.

Posted by: Merlion96 (IP Logged)
Date: 18 October, 2020 00:35

Auba is doing an "Ozil" now; after signing his big fat contract.
Cynical me said it is just a shrewd move to preserve his resale value.
Come July 2021, Auba may do a "Henry".

id you see any hungry senior players on the pitch willing to die for the Cause?

“The transition from defence to build-up must be executed very quickly. The team tactical manpower in the centre of the field(central defenders, midfielders and striker) is of great importance.”
Renus Michels: “Team Building - The Road to Success”

Posted by: BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
Date: 18 October, 2020 09:15

What tactics are you expecting away at City or Liverpool out of interest, to just outplay them? We can’t compete with their quality right now so I can’t see any other approach to take other than to try and catch them on the counter.

Albert Einstein: "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Date: 18 October, 2020 09:48

Quote:
BootyDaddy
What tactics are you expecting away at City or Liverpool out of interest, to just outplay them? We can’t compete with their quality right now so I can’t see any other approach to take other than to try and catch them on the counter.

So we must not be able to compete with Leicester too as they outplayed City a few weeks ago.

City were there for the taking and the player's and manager bottled it. It's in the player's DNA to bottle it so am not surprised at all.

Posted by: Flava (IP Logged)
Date: 18 October, 2020 10:48

Leicester didn’t outplay City. The won 5:2 with 3 penalties and could’ve been 4 down before the equalised.

I agree with BD, this is a quality issue. We had some very good chances, enough to get something from this game so the approach was correct

Date: 18 October, 2020 10:55

Quote:
Flava
Leicester didn’t outplay City. The won 5:2 with 3 penalties and could’ve been 4 down before the equalised.
I agree with BD, this is a quality issue. We had some very good chances, enough to get something from this game so the approach was correct

I didn't like how we played.
But the bottom line was we conceded a poor goal.
(Leno should never have palmed it where he did)
And but for that we may have got a draw and all would have been happy.

Posted by: Flava (IP Logged)
Date: 18 October, 2020 11:00

I didn’t like it either but that’s not because of tactics, it’s because they are better than us. Better midfielders will give us more control

Posted by: BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
Date: 18 October, 2020 11:07

Quote:
Gunnersingh1
Quote:
BootyDaddy

So we must not be able to compete with Leicester too as they outplayed City a few weeks ago.

City were there for the taking and the player's and manager bottled it. It's in the player's DNA to bottle it so am not surprised at all.

If it was as simple as to just out tactic City at the Etihad and every team should just 'do a Leicester', then how is poor old Pep going to win a game this season?

Have a word with yourself GS.

Albert Einstein: "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Date: 18 October, 2020 11:17

Quote:
BootyDaddy
Quote:
Gunnersingh1
Quote:
BootyDaddy

If it was as simple as to just out tactic City at the Etihad
and every team should just 'do a Leicester', then how is poor old Pep going to win a game this season?

Have a word with yourself GS.

We hardly had an attack in the 2nd half. Am sorry but I expect far far more from us, no matter how good the opposition are.

What we saw was pathetic and we'll struggle to beat anyone never city playing like this!

Posted by: SuperRob (IP Logged)
Date: 18 October, 2020 12:02

the goal is 100% the fault of the poor positioning that lead to the chance for Foden. Foden should be scoring, and if he does, no one is blaming Leno.

The goal was 70% Bellerin's fault for letting Foden cut inside.
20% Luiz for doing nothing, neither closing down Aguero nor getting into position to block the cut back from foden.
10% Ceballos for getting taken out of the game by Mahrez's pass.
Xhaka was jogging back, not sensing there was danger and sprinting to plug the gaps - throughout this passage of play he was 15-20 yards too high up the pitch.

But Leno gets blamed for not being able to bail out the defence and midfield every single time they are all out of position and give the opposition players all the time and space in the world.

Pause this video at 8 seconds. One pass takes out 4 of our players. We literally have no midfield! Why Xhaka is about 25 yards higher than Ceballos who is deeper than our centre backs?!
[youtu.be]

Date: 18 October, 2020 13:44

So everytime the defence makes a mistake let Leno just sit down while they score.
It was a poor attempt from an average keeper.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/10/2020 13:46 by Boston Gooner.

Posted by: SuperRob (IP Logged)
Date: 18 October, 2020 14:25

My point isn't that Leno is blameless or has no responsibility. Just that it's too simplistic to say he cost us the game

Posted by: Bergmars (IP Logged)
Date: 18 October, 2020 16:12

Let's face it we have a long long way to go to even sniff top four it's a work in progress

Date: 18 October, 2020 16:26

Quote:
Bergmars
Let's face it we have a long long way to go to even sniff top four it's a work in progress

Yes.
Yesterday was worrying.

Posted by: CazOnARola (IP Logged)
Date: 18 October, 2020 16:56

Quote:
SuperRob
My point isn't that Leno is blameless or has no responsibility. Just that it's too simplistic to say he cost us the game
One cannot discount the other saves he made or the fact that he was very high up the pitch a couple of times to bail out bellerin once and don't remember the second time.

That is a function of his comfort on the ball and comfort standing out of the box cause he he has decent pace for a goalie.

His distribution has improved as well and he is two footed abs very confident on the ball. Yesterday his distribution was much better that before and he came out and grabbed a good cross as well, so hopefully a sign of confidence returning.

The loss of one has to blame, is squarely on the midfield.

Ceballos waa average, xhaka dreadful, especially in offense. I'm not exec going to talk about the defensive lapses cause they have been happening for years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/10/2020 16:57 by CazOnARola.

Posted by: MickTheMan (IP Logged)
Date: 18 October, 2020 18:30

There was 5 or 6 meters between Foden and Leno. How on earth can anyone expect anything more than a reflex save from a gk in such position? Leno was our best player yesterday.

Bellerin should be sold to a highest bidder if he still represents some value. He didn't even try to tackle Foden it was pathetic. Pub player standard pathetic.

I start to worry a bit about Artetas in game management. I dont like the way he waits with his subs when things dont go our way. That was a beatable City team yet we didn't risk anything in second half. If it is a quality issue at least show some heart to make up for it.

Posted by: Trent2000 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 October, 2020 13:17

City were there for the taking,but Arteta played it way to safe. I do not understand the front three and where they played. Abau wide with William in the middle?

Saka was the best player for Arsenal, we need some creativity in the middle to make a cutting edge pass with Abu in the middle.

Posted by: SandyB (IP Logged)
Date: 19 October, 2020 14:30

Watching last few Arsenal games and my thoughts are, Arsenal improved recently under Arteta as a team but the biggest problem currently we have there is no ball holder. Willian probably could be but he isn't that good anymore other than that there are no ball holder or ball carrier in the team.
Gabriel Martinelli could have been one but Arteta hindered his growth and then a bad injury came.
Arsenal like all other teams trying to play out from the back and without proper ball holders and carriers this system doesn't work well which makes Arsenal's tactics pretty limited and predictable to counter attacking football.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net