Away at Leicester.
4 on the bounce.

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJGMW0K/roastspurs.gif

Re: Villa win again.
Posted by: Merlion96 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 October, 2020 07:16

Well, well, ...
Notice the symmetry?
Season before, Leicester City barely avoided relegation and won the title very next season.

5,000 to 1 odds for Villa to win the title? grinning smiley

Guess Martinez will have more clean sheets than Leno this season?

“The transition from defence to build-up must be executed very quickly. The team tactical manpower in the centre of the field(central defenders, midfielders and striker) is of great importance.”
Renus Michels: “Team Building - The Road to Success”

Posted by: TheReMarkable (IP Logged)
Date: 19 October, 2020 08:05

Happy for Villa. I like their players and manager (forgetting John Terry being there!) some similarities to that Leicester team alright but I don’t think they are as good and I reckon they will fall away but mid table finish isn’t off the cards for them and they would be great progress.

Posted by: Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 October, 2020 10:54

I like the look of their goalkeeper, wish we had someone like him at our club....

Posted by: SuperRob (IP Logged)
Date: 19 October, 2020 12:46

Grealish is really doing well at the moment. For some reason I still have doubts about whether he could perform at the same level at a "big" club though.

Posted by: SuperRob (IP Logged)
Date: 19 October, 2020 12:52

BTW Villa are the only team in the league to have conceded fewer goals than us.

Date: 19 October, 2020 12:58

Quote:
SuperRob
Grealish is really doing well at the moment. For some reason I still have doubts about whether he could perform at the same level at a "big" club though.

I think he'd do well at any team. I'd take him over Aoura. The problem is no one is getting him for less than 70 Mil which is too much for us.

Posted by: Padre Pio (IP Logged)
Date: 19 October, 2020 12:59

Always build from the back, Cloughie always made sure he had a great keeper

"When we had to suffer the team is a lion because they suffer together." 4 July 2020 at Wolverhampton Wanderers
Arteta on his team's first away victory at a club above them in the Premiership since September 2015 at Leicester.

Posted by: Willy (IP Logged)
Date: 19 October, 2020 13:46

Quote:
Gunnersingh1
Quote:
SuperRob

I think he'd do well at any team. I'd take him over Aoura. The problem is no one is getting him for less than 70 Mil which is too much for us.

He could have been sold this summer but signed a new contract, it seemed like no interesting bid was going to come in for him. Not sure how many years he'd had left on the old deal but with a new contract signed then yes they can play hardball. He would have been an option early on in the window though.

Posted by: Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
Date: 19 October, 2020 13:50

Quote:
Padre Pio
Always build from the back, Cloughie always made sure he had a great keeper

Very true.
Tell Arteta (Sm151)

Posted by: Flava (IP Logged)
Date: 19 October, 2020 16:09

Are we going to be having the Martinez comments all year? I think we'd all rather have had Martinez but if we hadn't sold him we'd have had no Partey

None of you commented when he spilt the ball against Fulham for a tap in, although VAR chalked it off for offside.

Date: 19 October, 2020 16:35

You're right Flava but it is hard watching him do so well, especially if you have doubts about Leno. We are all burnt by other instances of selling good players to other clubs in our league. Selling him made a lot of logical sense given what else we needed to do in the window, but then again if he is the better goalie then losing him hasn't done us any favours. I can see him going on to be very highly rated within the league, he chose his club well to go for them over Brighton (if that was the option).

Posted by: Flava (IP Logged)
Date: 19 October, 2020 16:46

I have no doubts about Leno. Is he the better goalkeeper? If Martinez had done what Leno did GS and co would've been on here saying ' Great save, defender should've been there'.

There was no market for Leno and there was for Martinez. Selling MArtinez helped us buy PArtey

Posted by: mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
Date: 19 October, 2020 16:48

Quote:
Flava
Are we going to be having the Martinez comments all year? I think we'd all rather have had Martinez but if we hadn't sold him we'd have had no Partey......

Agree with your sentiment. Lets get behind Leno and stop bringing up the sale of Martinez.

Date: 19 October, 2020 21:40

Quote:
Flava
I have no doubts about Leno. Is he the better goalkeeper? If Martinez had done what Leno did GS and co would've been on here saying ' Great save, defender should've been there'.
There was no market for Leno and there was for Martinez. Selling MArtinez helped us buy PArtey

Not really because I can remember hammering Martinez after he played in some Carling cup games years ago. Reading springs to mind.

It was a very standard save which Leno should have done far better on.

I bet any money Arteta is regretting selling him. Leno is a good goalkeeper but he is very error prone and you don't win league titles without great goalkeepers which should be our ambition.

Date: 19 October, 2020 22:32

Arteta is probably regretting not being able to get the expected moneys for any of our reject players so being in no position to turn down Villa’s offer. Gonna be a lot of noise if either goalie drops a clanger when we play Villa this season

Posted by: Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
Date: 19 October, 2020 23:00

Flava,
You started this off again. (Sm151)

Posted by: Bergmars (IP Logged)
Date: 20 October, 2020 07:59

Quote:
Flava
Are we going to be having the Martinez comments all year? I think we'd all rather have had Martinez but if we hadn't sold him we'd have had no Partey
None of you commented when he spilt the ball against Fulham for a tap in, although VAR chalked it off for offside.
I did

Under new managment

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net