Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: tranmere rovers - question
Posted by: the baldy one (IP Logged)
Date: 15 July, 2019 18:50

I have now got my next question for a bit of fun- WHICH EX TRANMERE ROVERS CAPTAIN SCORED IN A RANGERS V CELTIC MATCH A FEW YEARS AGO.

Posted by: Loyden1 (IP Logged)
Date: 15 July, 2019 19:11

Quote:
hong kong rover
Q. 27th January 2001, a momentous day in the history of Tranmere Rovers FC when we beat Everton at Goodison Park in the FA Cup, prior to that when was the last time Rovers featured in an FA Cup tie at Goodison Park?.. Clue - it wasn't versus Everton.
v Scunthorpe fa cup neutral ground after replay we lost 2.1 think Kevin keegan played for them (maybes cored not sure)

Posted by: hong kong rover (IP Logged)
Date: 15 July, 2019 19:14

Quote:
Loyden1
Quote:
hong kong rover
Q. 27th January 2001, a momentous day in the history of Tranmere Rovers FC when we beat Everton at Goodison Park in the FA Cup, prior to that when was the last time Rovers featured in an FA Cup tie at Goodison Park?.. Clue - it wasn't versus Everton.
v Scunthorpe fa cup neutral ground after replay we lost 2.1 think Kevin keegan played for them (maybes cored not sure)

correct Loyden, knew u would get that one...30th November 1970, FA Cup 1st round, 2nd replay, Tranmere Rovers v Scunthorpe United at Goodison Park, we lost 0-1.

Date: 15 July, 2019 20:30

Memory was out a bit hkr I was at the game .was i right about keegan ?

Date: 15 July, 2019 22:27

[quote Loyden1]Memory was out a bit hkr I was at the game .was i right about keegan ?[/te]here's a question . . .the year before we got knocked out by Northampton after a replay .what was significant about that game ?

Date: 15 July, 2019 22:51

[quote Loyden1][quote Loyden1]Memory was out a bit hkr I was at the game .was i right about keegan ?[/te]here's a question . . .the year before we got knocked out by Northampton after a replay .what was significant about that game ?[/quote]

hi loyden, you were spot on about Keegan, he did play in that game vs Scunny at Goodison Park but I am not sure if he scored their goal. I believe a certain Mr Shankly was watching on from the crowd that night at Goodison…

The Northampton replay was at their place in front of a really big crowd coz the winners that night would face Man Utd at home in the next round..unfortunately we lost and they had the Mancs at home in the next round and lost 2-8..i think George Best ran riot in that game.. I was only 5 years old then, lol..didn't go to my first ever Rovers game till 1974 at home to Bournemouth.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 15/07/2019 22:57 by hong kong rover.

Date: 15 July, 2019 23:06

imagine if we had beaten Northampton in the replay that night, if we had we would have had Best, Law and Charlton at Prenton in the 5th round, blimey that would have been something special, it could have been an even bigger attendance than 2 years later in 1972 for our record attendance vs Stoke City

Date: 15 July, 2019 23:23

hi loyden, my dad took me to my very first Rovers game in February 1974 at home to Bournemouth..this was the winter of discontent and the 3 day week and the nationwide power cuts, we had to play the game on a sunday and iirc it kicked off about 1pm coz of the power cuts and we couldn't use the floodlights so the game had to finish before the winter darkness descended..i have vague memories of my very first ever game, it was an overcast day and we stood on the old open end, we played in white shirts n blue shorts and I think it was steve coppells 2nd or 3rd game for us and my only recollection of the game was Coppell bombing it down the wing on the Borough Rd side...I remember that winter with the big power cuts and having loads of candles in the house, my old man hated it, my mum managed to cope, me n my 2 sisters loved it in the dark, lol

Date: 16 July, 2019 08:19

Spot on hkr .I was at Northampton for that replay and after being there a few times later wondered how it held 15000.it's worth seeing best on you tube 4days later.

Current Page: 3 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net