Current Page: 1 of 2
O/T Bolton players(allegedly) are on strike again Friday Chester match off
Posted by: BELMONT (IP Logged)
Date: 17 July, 2019 17:44

Bolton match at Chester on Friday night has been called off as the players and coaching staff have not been paid for twenty weeks so players have gone on strike again(allegedly).

Re: O/T Bolton players(allegedly) are on strike again Friday Chester match off
Posted by: Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)
Date: 17 July, 2019 17:54

That takeover's dragging on, was meant to be sorted a few weeks ago. Wonder if it's hit a glitch.

Incidentally Pringle played for Bolton in a trial game earlier this week.

Posted by: the baldy one (IP Logged)
Date: 17 July, 2019 18:24

poor old notlob wanderers. they cannot even fix up a pre season friendly. what a joke club they are. I think I will get the bunting and tinsel out and celebrate that sooner or later they will close down. bye bye notlob.

Posted by: cobas (IP Logged)
Date: 17 July, 2019 19:21

i think its about time the EFL say's what the punishment for Bolton is, administration, non payment of staff and players, failure to fulfil last seasons games, the lies about takeovers,bankrupt people who say they are taking over the club. the minimum punishment must be at least 20 points.

Posted by: Uptonrover (IP Logged)
Date: 17 July, 2019 19:27

Surely the punishment for both Bolton and Bury must be published prior to the season starting?

Posted by: sparky100 (IP Logged)
Date: 17 July, 2019 19:33

Feel very sorry for the staff at Bolton! If it is 20 weeks without being paid then that will cause a lot of people serious hardship. Something which isn't their fault! So sorry Baldy, can't agree with you on that one.

Posted by: Doogie'sGhost (IP Logged)
Date: 17 July, 2019 19:55

Quote:
sparky100
Feel very sorry for the staff at Bolton! If it is 20 weeks without being paid then that will cause a lot of people serious hardship. Something which isn't their fault! So sorry Baldy, can't agree with you on that one.
Absolutely, and remember if they do go down none of those staff will ever see a penny of what they are owed. Nor will anyone in the club's supply chain get outstanding bills paid with all the knock on effects that entails.

Posted by: rossb07 (IP Logged)
Date: 17 July, 2019 19:56

Quote:
sparky100
So sorry Baldy, can't agree with you on that one.
Shock, people in work not getting paid deserve to have what they want to do for a living closed down.
On a separate note, a manager keeps getting jobs because he wants to work and get as much as he can.
Maybe somebody is out of work and doesn’t understand this (don’t mean you sparky).

Date: 17 July, 2019 20:09

Im quite an advocate for clubs in this situation getting something of a brutal punishment such as a points deduction for two or three seasons. Theres been situations in the past such as Leicester, where they have gone into administration. Its not just the employees of the club that suffer. Its the clubs who dont get the full transfer fee of players that were bought from them. The local businesses that supply stuff such as catering, programmes etc that dont get paid. The construction company that built Leicesters new shiney stadium that dont get paid fully but Leicester get a nice cheap stadium. Non football related debts get written completely off. I bet they all feel sick now watching Leicester spending 30 million on players

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/07/2019 20:11 by Uptonrover.

Posted by: Hampshire White (IP Logged)
Date: 18 July, 2019 06:29

You have to feel for Jester, they could have done with the cash.

Posted by: misterecoli (IP Logged)
Date: 18 July, 2019 07:28

I agree to some extent, but the argument is that too severe a punishment leads to the club spiralling down the divisions and losing money, and people end up losing their jobs anyway.

The issue needs to be attacked from the top, with what can be done to stop clubs spending beyond their means and betting the house gambling on promotions.

Posted by: BELMONT (IP Logged)
Date: 18 July, 2019 09:13

With the likes of Bury and Bolton I don't feel sorry for them I feel more sorry for the firms and people that don't get paid. While the football club regroup and carry on.

Leicester is a prime example brand new stadium yet allegedly owed millions to firms when they went bust but regrouped and now buy players for millions.

Both Bury and Bolton perhaps be dropped a division even two placed in non league and start from down there it's happened before to clubs.

Posted by: DevonExile (IP Logged)
Date: 18 July, 2019 11:01

I feel acutely sorry for the supporters of both clubs and cannot share in the gloating of Beardy. Macclesfield and Notts County can be added to the list of clubs unable to pay staff and there is no supporters in the lower divisions that cannot be confident that their club could never be in the same position.
There are too many owners that are not fit to lead a club but I suspect that is true for businesses beyond football The fit and proper tests clearly are inadequate and the punishments for going into administration could be much stronger although I am not convinced that would make that much impact.
I do not remember any Rovers supporters shouting for stronger punishments when we went into administration. Nor were many complaining when in the 90s we had a business model that was not sustainable.At our level too few clubs are run by people with the acumen to run a business as complex as that of a lower league club. Too little money filters down the pyramid and both nationally and internationally administrators are fuelled by narrow self interest.There are no easy solutions and the people who suffer most are supporters.
It is the worse form of tribalism for any supporter of a lower league team to take any pleasure from a situation that could befall any of us

Posted by: Tom Bombadil (IP Logged)
Date: 18 July, 2019 12:22

These situations make you realise just how well we've been run by our current owners. Also the diligence PJ took in finding them instead of dumping us into the hands of the likes of the people involved in the Bury and Bolton debacles.

Posted by: cobas (IP Logged)
Date: 18 July, 2019 19:39

i do not feel sorry for the fans of bolton and bury, because when bolton where in the premier league they didn't give a sh*t for other teams who where in financial trouble, neither did bury fans when the club where paying big wages to players they couldn't afford.the sooner they have the points deducted the better for the rest of the division.

Posted by: Doogie'sGhost (IP Logged)
Date: 18 July, 2019 19:46

Quote:
Uptonrover
Im quite an advocate for clubs in this situation getting something of a brutal punishment such as a points deduction for two or three seasons. Theres been situations in the past such as Leicester, where they have gone into administration. Its not just the employees of the club that suffer. Its the clubs who dont get the full transfer fee of players that were bought from them. The local businesses that supply stuff such as catering, programmes etc that dont get paid. The construction company that built Leicesters new shiney stadium that dont get paid fully but Leicester get a nice cheap stadium. Non football related debts get written completely off. I bet they all feel sick now watching Leicester spending 30 million on players

You make this sound a bit like it is football exclusive problem. The truth is that administration is a business tool, available to all businesses in trouble. Being owed money by a business that goes into administration meaning you dont get paid is one of the hazards of doing business sadly. Many businesses go into administration, clear their debts and then go on to thrive. It is the main purpose of the administrator to achieve this really.

As I've said before on here I'm not a fan of points deductions. There are better football specific punishments that could be applied to football clubs in trouble and triggered long before administration becomes necessary.

Posted by: Goodison's Bicycle Kick (IP Logged)
Date: 19 July, 2019 09:07

The fans seem to only be bothered about this when it gets to this point though. At no point have they collectively fought against it, and have instead enjoyed the money being thrown at them. Same with Bury and soon to be Mansfield/Forest Green.

This should have all been tackled before it got to this point though. Everyone saw it happening and once again the FA/League have done absolutely nothing about it. There needs to be a real deterrent to the actual owners, and not the company listed as owner. It's far too easy for them to go into admin and nothing happen to them personally. I feel that any club that looks like they're about to get into problems like this, should be forced to play behind closed doors until the books are balanced. The threat of a massive, immediate financial loss should do the trick. If say after this one game they don't look like they're going to balance the books, they get a three-match enforcement. Only then do you start imposing points deductions.

Maybe an alternative arrangement would also be that all wages are paid into a third party and that third party then pays the staff, ensuring they are paid no matter what?

Posted by: Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)
Date: 19 July, 2019 09:22

Hard to see how you can balance the books while you're cutting off a main source of income. All you'll end up doing is accelerating insolvency.

Posted by: aktrfc (IP Logged)
Date: 19 July, 2019 09:51

They didn’t give a monkeys about us when we dropped out the league and that could have sent us under. Yes the staff and suppliers who have lost jobs and income from this should be helped but not the fans or the club itself. Money should be made available for the staff to receive redundancy pay. The only ones I can feel for are those who have lost financially.

Date: 19 July, 2019 10:02

@doogiesghost- but is this not a football forum and as such we discuss football related matters?

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net