Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Your memories of Bury FC
Posted by: aktrfc (IP Logged)
Date: 28 August, 2019 19:08

Quote:
misterecoli
Quote:
Uptonrover
Bury tapping up Ryan Lowe, we decended into non league and ultimately employees lost jobs and we lost our academy. But hey lets feel sorry for Bury

You're seriously stretching that the reason we were relegated into Non League was Ryan Lowe leaving.

I think most people feel sorry for the Bury employees and their fans, that you can't speaks volumes.

To be fair, I agree that Lowe leaving cost us, but that was due to us only offering a 1 year deal because That was all we could afford. They offered 2 which evidently they couldn’t afford. But I suppose the fact that they didn’t pay him for his last 6 months and were they are now, says it all

Posted by: Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)
Date: 28 August, 2019 19:37

It just shows how peoples recollections differ.

I could have sworn Ryan Lowe was still under contract for our relegation season from FL2 but, asked for a longer contract and more money (probably after already being tapped up by Bury) and we then sold him to Bury for £60K (I wonder if we ever received the fee?)

The whole business left a very nasty taste in the mouth and led to some pretty intense debate on the forum which, lasted some considerable time.

Posted by: misterecoli (IP Logged)
Date: 28 August, 2019 19:59

Quote:
Jack of all Trades
I could have sworn Ryan Lowe was still under contract for our relegation season from FL2 but, asked for a longer contract and more money (probably after already being tapped up by Bury) and we then sold him to Bury for £60K (I wonder if we ever received the fee?)

The whole business left a very nasty taste in the mouth and led to some pretty intense debate on the forum which, lasted some considerable time.

He left after 1 year of a 2 year contract, we got a fee for him, and had all summer to replace him. Everyone wanted him to stay, a few accused the board of not trying hard enough.

This was a whole year before we got relegated to NL, I think the blame for our relegation to non league lies in other places.

Posted by: Prenton Pirate (IP Logged)
Date: 29 August, 2019 01:29

Certainly for me and many other SWA Bury was the most visited away ground, I can't think of another one. Maybe Oldham.
Didn't we play at Bury on a Sunday after the original game was off after Princess Diana's death? I think it finished 0-0. Other memorable games: The FA Cup game already mentioned, the 0-0 play-off semi and Andy Robinson's winner when we topped the league. Also remember a dismal 0-3 against Johnny Kings side.

Posted by: TwelfthofMay-ResurrectionDay (IP Logged)
Date: 29 August, 2019 09:54

Like HKR I remember that FA Cup game at Gigg Lane. The SWA was rammed into the old wooden stand (the Cemetery End, I think) and a calamitous first half saw 4th div Bury 2-0 up at the break. Cue lots of banter - "What division are you in?" and "You're worse than Bolton Wanderers" from the Bury fans.

Then an Ian Muir brace in the last 10 mins salvaged a draw. I think when the equaliser went in it was voted "the most Tranmere fans jumping up and down at an away game ever". The stand was shaking so much that I feared, through my alcoholic haze, that it might collapse, but at that moment I didn't care.

I think we won the replay at PP 4-0. The SWA were able to chant "What division are you in?" and "You're worse than Bolton Wanderers" back at the Bury.

Let's hope AFC Bury rises from the ashes. If they can hang on to Gigg Lane.

Posted by: roger mellie (IP Logged)
Date: 29 August, 2019 10:53

First time I saw us win at Gigg was in the 80's I think. Pre Trams when you had to catch an old electric rattler of a train from Man Victoria. Mcnab got sent off, before Malkin scored late goals in a 2-1 win. I t tipped it down and the pitch was a mud bath.

Posted by: Dan SWA (IP Logged)
Date: 29 August, 2019 11:09

For that FA cup game wasn’t Bury sponsored by a birthday card company? I can’t recall the name.

Posted by: Matt34 (IP Logged)
Date: 29 August, 2019 19:45

The company was called Birthdays

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Posted by: Kentexile (IP Logged)
Date: 30 August, 2019 14:16

Quote:
Matt34

I can see why it was difficult to remember

Posted by: aktrfc (IP Logged)
Date: 30 August, 2019 18:23

Quote:
Kentexile
Quote:
Matt34

I can see why it was difficult to remember
😅

Posted by: Matt34 (IP Logged)
Date: 30 August, 2019 20:15

Quote:
Jack of all Trades

I remember reading on here, the fee was £75,000. Deadly Sub quoted the amount I seem to recall. Pity Lowe wasn't 2 years younger, or Tranmere might have gotten a 2 added onto the front of the 7.

Lowe got some stick for leaving and he didn't deserve it.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Posted by: kennyspint (IP Logged)
Date: 30 August, 2019 22:44

Boxing Day Robbo missed late first half penno then scored the winner second half. I got up with a Christmas Day hangover drove straight to Gigg Lane. At half time I needed food. Queued for twenty minutes. Only Balti chicken pies left. Resumed my spec and bit into the pie which exploded over my coat. Hey Ho

Posted by: Uglybob (IP Logged)
Date: 30 August, 2019 23:07

Quote:
Jack of all Trades

As far as I remember , Ryan wasn't under contract . Agreed he asked for a longer contract ( we'd offered him 12 months ) for security for his family . After getting ( I think 22 to 23 ) goals the previous season I personally think it was terrible the abuse he took at Gigg lane . I was there twice when a vociferous few where chanting ' There's only one greedy ba$tard ' . For Christ sake what was the guy to do ? He gave his all for our club and had to put up with that ! The only nasty taste in the mouth I felt was his treatment by a minority who'd forgotten what he gave us . I have the greatest respect for the guy and wish him all the best at Argyle .

Current Page: 2 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net