Current Page: 1 of 3
Melon on the brink?
Posted by: Tranman (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2019 20:45

Three reasons why the answer may be yes. Very poor Summer recruitment (again). Team selection all over the place. (Including too many favourites). Thoroughly repetitive and boring interviews. (Totally uninspiring If that's how he talks to the players).

Re: Melon on the brink?
Posted by: trfc-boi (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2019 20:57

Behave, squad as a whole is stronger, it’s a totally new team, try again ten more matches & see if you have same thoughts

Posted by: Bored rover (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2019 21:06

I think he is lucky we had the Bolton game other wise we would have a -8 goal difference which worries me. As soon as you concede you need to score 2 to win and we dont have that many goals. For me personally it’s imperative we go back to the drawing board, ditch wing backs, tricky wingers and play makers, do the basics two banks of four work hard and be hard to score against build confidence and team ethic. At the moment its too easy to open us up and its not all down to Rides he's getting no assistance from his left midfielder because we are trying to play football and the lads arent working for each other. We don’t actually miss Norwoods goals we miss his leadership how often to pundits say the hard work starts up front and Nors ran for 95 mi utes every-week captain in all but name. We need to earn the right to play at this level, too often we are steamrolled and leaving it all too do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/09/2019 21:20 by Bored rover.

Posted by: Matt34 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2019 21:36

The possibility of losing Norwood was an eventually that was going to be very hard to recover from.

The chances of finding a player from Northern ireland, WPL, scotland or non-league, able to get anywhere close to that level of goal and assist output were not impossible but certainly slim.

The fact Tranmere could not afford to, by their current standards, make luxury wage offers to players, the kind of offers clubs with 3 times the spending power can became a very noticable elephant in the room and moreso than at any time in the last 4-5 seasons, because when your budget falls much lower in comparison to other teams in your current division, compared to teams in the previous two dvisions, you will obviously find it much harder to get players that can sustain any prioir impetus.

Mellon should not be ejected from his position, even if Tranmere were 1 point above the drop zone after 44-45 games, unless he had suddenly been given a big budget and could sign a few £6,000 a week player at christmas, but the I would be suprised if his recent budget increase exceeded £200,000 and potentially it could quite easily have not even been that much added money.

Adkins got jibbed by Southampton after 2 promotions, but that was a club potentially able to do a bit better in the biggest league in the world and it looked harsh and I was someone who thought so, but then Pochettino justified the boards decision.

However I don't think Palios would get rid of Mellon, then suddenly bring in some star studded lower cost Pochettino wannabe and Tranmere finish 12th.

Mello would arguably still the man for the job if Tranmere go down, because Palios might think Mellon could bounce back first time like Dyche did at Burnley.

I'm more than comfortable wiht Mellon at the helm and a few tweaks to performance, as well as some players stepping up a bit and more points should come.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Posted by: dnors (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2019 22:04

Rubbish we're seven games in for crying out loud! Far too early to call for his head especially after all he's done for the club

Posted by: Uglybob (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2019 22:05

Quote:
dnors
Rubbish we're seven games in for crying out loud! Far too early to call for his head especially after all he's done for the club
+1

Posted by: dnors (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2019 22:11

Let's also be realistic who would come in and do a better job? If we were to go down even then who could come in and give us a better chance of going back up? No-one within our budget that's for sure, have to be extremely lucky or find a nice oil deposit under the centre circle at PP

Posted by: EBAWB (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2019 22:35

[quote Tranman]Three reasons why the answer may be yes. Very poor Summer recruitment (again). Team selection all over the place. (Including too many favourites). Thoroughly repetitive and boring interviews. (Totally uninspiring If that's how he talks to the players).[/quote
WTF!
Et tu Brute

Every ball's a white ball

Posted by: Bored rover (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2019 22:50

Quote:
dnors
Let's also be realistic who would come in and do a better job? If we were to go down even then who could come in and give us a better chance of going back up? No-one within our budget that's for sure, have to be extremely lucky or find a nice oil deposit under the centre circle at PP

I agree, he's the guy the job, and TBF he knows we aren't working hard enough but he cant control what the players do in terms of stupid decisions or even how hard they run, we just need to stay in touch and have squad overhaul in January

Posted by: Uptonrover (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2019 23:13

Load of rubbish. He has got us this far and at least deserves a full season. Didnt go or listen today but seen most games and we are not that far off. Just missing that bit of luck. Stop the stupid stuff on the pitch, daft cards, stupid fouls multiple times around the box where it has cost us. We will be fine.

Posted by: ADD (IP Logged)
Date: 15 September, 2019 00:01

Quote:
Uptonrover
Load of rubbish. He has got us this far and at least deserves a full season. Didnt go or listen today but seen most games and we are not that far off. Just missing that bit of luck. Stop the stupid stuff on the pitch, daft cards, stupid fouls multiple times around the box where it has cost us. We will be fine.
EXCEPT...
Sorry Upton but we are not missing that bit of luck. We are basically 2 points this season (Bolton if we had met them in November I suspect we would lose to). All I hear from MM is about "tempo" - as if if we get that right we will be ok. The facts are we have a very small budget yes but we equally have a team that is at sixes and sevens - plus we have Ponticelli on the bench for whatever reason? The only thing I have heard on that is that on a forum that he is allegedly managed by MM's son???
The reason we are fouling so much (Rides penalty is a good example) is that we are not as good as the opposition so to stop them we have to foul them.

Posted by: Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)
Date: 15 September, 2019 00:30

Quote:
ADD
....plus we have Ponticelli on the bench for whatever reason? The only thing I have heard on that is that on a forum that he is allegedly managed by MM's son???

Because it's good to have a striker on the bench and he's the only option, rather than yet another crackpot conspiracy theory.

Posted by: kennyspint (IP Logged)
Date: 15 September, 2019 00:39

We've heard this every season since Micky arrived. What he has achieved for us is that even if we get relegated this season and I don't believe we will but even if we do we are not back in the VNL. Remember the atmos in our first VNL season and the atmosphere at Wembley earlier this year. Tequila !

Posted by: the kav (IP Logged)
Date: 15 September, 2019 07:55

I've said it before I would try to get brabin back as some kind of head of recruitment. Not a brilliant manager but what an eye for a player...

Posted by: sparky100 (IP Logged)
Date: 15 September, 2019 08:23

I'll keep it short and sweet, no and injurues haven't helped.

Posted by: ADD (IP Logged)
Date: 15 September, 2019 08:27

No way - MP did not sack him when many thought he should have when we were 18th in NL - he won't sack him any time soon when we are only 6 games in.

Posted by: Uptonrover (IP Logged)
Date: 15 September, 2019 08:30

ADD - i do think we are missing some luck, of course every team needs some luck from time to time. I do think we have not been that far off in most games this season, its just stupid mistakes that keep punishing us and as we step up the leagues the quality of players of opposition improve. Hence the mistakes get punished quicker and at more cost. If you do a quick google search of Mickys son you will find Ponticelli AND Payne are represented by the company he works for

Posted by: Zint (IP Logged)
Date: 15 September, 2019 08:50

It’s frustrating but not unexpected.

I had this game down as an important marker but hadn’t factored in additional injuries. Wasn’t there yesterday but my view is that our balance isn’t right. Mullin has done well up front, yet Ferrier was brought in to be a front man that holds up play, so we are now trying to make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear.

Most of us knew we would be in a relegation battle, not challenging for promotion. Micky is an intelligent and thoughtful manager, he’ll think about what’s going wrong and address it. Keep the faith.

Posted by: TranmereFan (IP Logged)
Date: 15 September, 2019 09:34

One Micky Mellon, there’s only one Micky Mellon

Posted by: EBAWB (IP Logged)
Date: 15 September, 2019 09:35

We have been genuinely competitive in virtually all games this season apart from yesterday when were poor and lacking in ideas and without appearing to have a plan. MM will sort it. Talk of him being on the brink is ridiculous. I have faith in him finding the answers either from within the current playing staff or bringing in some to do the job, just as he did last season. The job of course is not getting relegated this season 😬

Every ball's a white ball

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net