Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Peterborough
Posted by: BELMONT (IP Logged)
Date: 17 September, 2019 23:16

Quote:
Shaumbra
65' | GOALLLL!!
Potter crosses to Mullin who throws himself at the ball to produce a spectacular diving header. GET IN!

1-2

Great cross to Ridehalgh who gets the goal still same result though.

Posted by: Yiggsy (IP Logged)
Date: 17 September, 2019 23:38

Quote:
BELMONT
Quote:
Shaumbra
65' | GOALLLL!!
Potter crosses to Mullin who throws himself at the ball to produce a spectacular diving header. GET IN!

1-2

Great cross to Ridehalgh who gets the goal still same result though.

Just seen the highlights on Sky... wtf was Rides doing there in the first place? smiling smiley

Posted by: smithy43 (IP Logged)
Date: 17 September, 2019 23:43

Davies 8

Sid 8
Ray 7.5
Manny 6.5

Morris 9 MOTM
Potter 8.5
Banks 7
Perkins 7.5
Rides 8

Mullin 8
Payne 7

Thought Morris was the standout player today and Rides had his best game for a while. Challenge now is to keep up that level of performance, maybe a bit of competition is what they need.

Disagree (to an extent) with comments on Banks and Payne. Thought Banks gave the ball away too much, got caught for pace a couple of times and was the weak link in the midfield, though that goal was unreal. Potter was excellent, recycled possession well and made some useful challenges. Team looked very well balanced until he jaded at the end, and if he stays fit we'll be fine.

RE Payne, for 60 mins he was poor and didnt look all that interested and wasn't running around much at all. He needed to do better with the header from that good Banks ball, that should be meat and drink for all strikers (all you need to do is head it downwards). He also squandered a great chance after a lovely dink from Ray and with chances at a premium you have to do better there. That being said after 60 mins his work rate was excellent and put them under real pressure with some great pressing. Also agree he is much better with the ball at his feet and if he plays like he did in the last half hour more often, we'll pick up a load more points.

However I dont know if the way we play is suited to Payne all that much. He isn't a target man and will only win 1 out of 10 long balls. He isn't a striker who plays off the defender's shoulder like Nors did and can run in behind & get goals that way. He isn't a focal point at crosses as his leap isn't great and doesn't direct headers towards goals. The problem is our play basically is those 3 examples - we do look to go over the top a lot and we do put in a lot of crosses each game. I think Payne is more suited to getting the ball at his feet, then either turning and shooting or laying it off to the wingers/strike partner. However up until now we dont play the way that exploits Payne's strengths hence his return has been poor. Decision for MM would be to continue with how we play (we have scored a lot..) or focus more on Payne's strengths

Posted by: Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)
Date: 18 September, 2019 00:07

Really good performance .we need more of the same ,the problem is consistentce what team will turn up Saturday that’s the trouble ,the makings of a good team is there, just need to do it more often .

Posted by: kennyspint (IP Logged)
Date: 18 September, 2019 00:09

Great performance from the lads and the SWA.

Posted by: hong kong rover (IP Logged)
Date: 18 September, 2019 05:03

Quote:
mrGr33n13
https://twitter.com/E_Sure91/status/1174054348583854084?s=09
Ridiculous goal

What a goal! defo a contender for goal of the season..i had a mate who was at the game last night and he sent me a pic of a stunning sunset over Prenton last night, taken from the JK stand,,Shepherds Delight!

Date: 18 September, 2019 05:42

Why was Micky sent to the stands last night?

Posted by: Loyden1 (IP Logged)
Date: 18 September, 2019 07:58

Quote:
hong kong rover
Why was Micky sent to the stands last night?
a row with the 4th official apparently for throwing the ball to 1of their players when it was our throw in

Posted by: Uptonrover (IP Logged)
Date: 18 September, 2019 08:30

Micky gave an interview saying the ref was aggressive in his face and he moved the ref out of his face. Guess it was that too

Posted by: Bored rover (IP Logged)
Date: 18 September, 2019 08:55

Great result, still conceded 2 but given the number of goals they've scored this season thats a bit like a clean sheet, players have shown they can do it for Micky now and it’s imperative they replicate it week in week out, standard has been set.

Date: 18 September, 2019 09:34

We need another good performance Saturday from Phll65s suction cups ,Burton funny old side can beat anyone on the day ,you really don’t hear much about them ,Clough very quiet ,not a chip off the old block ,never liked Brian Clough far to arrogant thought he walked on water and the way he actually hit people ,imagine it these days .

Posted by: boredwiththewhingerssobyebye (IP Logged)
Date: 18 September, 2019 09:37

temporarily back in just to say "great goal from Banks.* and superb effort from the team.

Notice how a certain individual hasn't posted anything on this thread - never mind complimentary -about the game?

ciao

Posted by: jal jal (IP Logged)
Date: 18 September, 2019 09:56

Phew I don't think that's me then grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/09/2019 09:56 by jal jal.

Date: 18 September, 2019 10:25

Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
We need another good performance Saturday from Phll65s suction cups ,Burton funny old side can beat anyone on the day ,you really don’t hear much about them ,Clough very quiet ,not a chip off the old block ,never liked Brian Clough far to arrogant thought he walked on water and the way he actually hit people ,imagine it these days .

Brian Clough should have been England manager, he wanted the job and the general consesus was that he would have done well..But as they have always done, the crusty old FA gave the job to a complete yes man in Don Revie..Revie failed miserably.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/09/2019 10:29 by hong kong rover.

Date: 18 September, 2019 11:09

I will go half way on that one HKR ,put him down as a twisted genius ,I think because he was controversial they wondered what he would do or say next ,and definitely not the England manager slapping people in public ,his own worst enemy ,why he was never done for assault I don’t know only happened about 3times but not good .it was a case of he hee it’s only good old Cloughie

Date: 18 September, 2019 11:34

Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
I will go half way on that one HKR ,put him down as a twisted genius ,I think because he was controversial they wondered what he would do or say next ,and definitely not the England manager slapping people in public ,his own worst enemy ,why he was never done for assault I don’t know only happened about 3times but not good .it was a case of he hee it’s only good old Cloughie

I agree fifty, he was arrogant and cocksure and controversial at times, but there is no doubt that he was one of the greatest club managers of all time..He took a modest second division club in Nott'm Forest to English first division champions and European Cup champions ( twice ) in no time at all..He would have made a great England manager..

Posted by: TwelfthofMay-ResurrectionDay (IP Logged)
Date: 18 September, 2019 11:51

Cloughie did a great job at Brighton...

...er!

Date: 18 September, 2019 12:18

Quote:
TwelfthofMay-ResurrectionDay
Cloughie did a great job at Brighton...

...er!

He should never have gone to Brighton..I suppose the next thing you will be saying is that he failed at Leeds Utd! He never failed at Leeds, from day one he was never given the chance coz the likes of Billy Bremner and Johnny Giles rebelled against him and wouldnt play for him..Those Leeds players couldnt accept the fact that Revie had deserted them to take on the England job and they wouldnt adhere to Cloughies new training methods, his managerial style and him wanting to stamp his style on the club..Shame on Bremner, Giles and the rest of them for acting like this..Not sure if you have seen the film 'The Damned United' with Michael Sheen playing the part of Clough and the superb Tim Spall as Cloughs right hand man, Peter Taylor, the movie gives a fairly true reflection and account of Cloughs very short 44 days at the club.

Date: 18 September, 2019 12:30

And Brian Clough was a superb player too..his strike record was PHENOMENAL..in 296 career games he scored 267 times before his playing days were cut short by a serious injury..he was a truly great player that became a truly great manager..A giant of English football..We dont have them anymore, we have foreigners.

Date: 18 September, 2019 12:49

Jim Broadbent was superb playing the part of the gruff Derby chairman in 'The Damned United'... the days when working class locals came good and successful in business and ran football clubs that they supported and loved.

Current Page: 3 of 4
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net