Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: Coventry City (a)
Posted by: Bored rover (IP Logged)
Date: 13 October, 2019 13:11

Quote:
Doogie'sGhost
Quote:
bumhobo33
Glad to take the 3 points but no one here can say it was deserved... however 3 points is 3 points though! Happy to be proven wrong!
Disagree. Setting up to be hard to beat and frustrating the opposition is part of the game. It's a valid tactic away from home especially. Doing this successfully is playing well, not badly.

+1

Also you make your own luck we never gave them a clean chance there was either a goalie in their face or someone snapping at heels. Our best performance of the season bar none, stepped upto the fight today doing the dirty work as you say, something we have lacked all season so far

Posted by: hong kong rover (IP Logged)
Date: 13 October, 2019 13:14

we were superb in defence and they really protected Scotty

Posted by: Uptonrover (IP Logged)
Date: 13 October, 2019 13:22

Quote:
goosed
We are poor rubbish and somethin needs to happen at this club

So that statement aged well

Posted by: bumhobo33 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 October, 2019 13:22

Quote:
Doogie'sGhost
Quote:
bumhobo33
Glad to take the 3 points but no one here can say it was deserved... however 3 points is 3 points though! Happy to be proven wrong!
Disagree. Setting up to be hard to beat and frustrating the opposition is part of the game. It's a valid tactic away from home especially. Doing this successfully is playing well, not badly.

Doogie- no way on earth we deserved 3 points. Would have considered us lucky to finish 0-0. Glad it turned out the way it did but we never looked a threat and were fortunate not to be behind on multiple occasions.

Posted by: Uptonrover (IP Logged)
Date: 13 October, 2019 13:23

Classic smash and grab away performance. Yes Coventry had many chances - but not many on target. Tactics worked a treat. Swa

Posted by: TimmySoft (IP Logged)
Date: 13 October, 2019 13:28

A team that we’re technically better than us, looked more threatening and played some good football, just got absolutely sh*t housed!

Well done lads, CBTs goal was a thing of beauty. I didn’t think we were good in any part of the park, the defence were beaten 4/5 times and it was only our good luck that kept us in it.

We definitely looked short in the midfield, not a lot of creativity or options to change the play and our forwards continue to drop too deep to stand a chance to affect the game.

A tough win, with a lot of negatives but the major positive of 3 points. I celebrated by doing some washing up.

Posted by: Summerlander (IP Logged)
Date: 13 October, 2019 13:46

Yeah, it was hard to watch. They played some real nice football and put us on the back foot all the game. Kinda reminded me of Rope-a-dope. Hope Mullin isn't going to join our injury team.

Posted by: dnors (IP Logged)
Date: 13 October, 2019 13:47

Not a vintage performance by any stretch of the imagination, but a huge three points all the same. What a moment too for CBT kid from Villa scoring the winner away at St. Andrews ,admittedly not for Villa and not against Birmingham but still! Thought he was excellent today along with Payne. Special mention too for the fans over 800 there isnt bad at all but they made a great din throughout I thought, sounded like a home game at times.

Posted by: Hoots Mon (IP Logged)
Date: 13 October, 2019 13:57

Quote:
dnors
Not a vintage performance by any stretch of the imagination, but a huge three points all the same. What a moment too for CBT kid from Villa scoring the winner away at St. Andrews ,admittedly not for Villa and not against Birmingham but still! Thought he was excellent today along with Payne. Special mention too for the fans over 800 there isnt bad at all but they made a great din throughout I thought, sounded like a home game at times.

If you don't take your chances, you don't win matches!!
Absolutely brilliant atmosphere. I was just saying to the guys next to me that CBT had done little in the second half when he did that. What do I know?

Posted by: Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)
Date: 13 October, 2019 14:06

To everyone who says we were 'crap and lucky', what would you be saying if we produced Coventry's performance today? Something like 'crap and deserved what we got' is my bet. Two sides of the same coin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/10/2019 14:12 by Aldo'smuzzy.

Posted by: Phil65 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 October, 2019 14:15

Talk about chasing your blues away; that's the kind of CBT that'll help you look your demons in the eye and knock them out! (Make that available on the health service!). Absolute top class finish and we should all be bouncin' with the three points, regardless of circumstances (I know I am!). Perspective: Coventry could have gone joint second (sounds better than third!) with a win and we were in the bottom three before kick off. It was always going to be a backs to the wall performance, particularly when you add in the missing players. Yes, we may have had some luck on our side, but if anyone thinks we weren't due any is mean-spirited and that's putting it mildly. The table looks sweeter now! Just enjoy!

Posted by: dnors (IP Logged)
Date: 13 October, 2019 14:16

Agreed Hoots and Aldo, lucky or not much better teams than us will go to Coventry this season and get turned over! I for one take only positives from today we're going to need win ugly this season especially with an injury list like ours.

Posted by: Crazylegs Cranebird (IP Logged)
Date: 13 October, 2019 14:49

Quote:
dnors

Aye, 800 when the game was live on telly was fabulous.
CBT superb technique - he took the shot early when the keepr wasnt expecting

TRFC is #8 on Wirral's new Viking Trail
[www.facebook.com] 👊👊

Posted by: Tom Bombadil (IP Logged)
Date: 13 October, 2019 14:49

Watched the game on the telly with the Missus. Cant say she was that impressed. But as soon as Coventry hit the post I told her there could only be on outcome, a win for the Purplewhites. She now thinks I am a football guru of the highest order. Second only to master tactician Micky Mellon.

Posted by: goosed (IP Logged)
Date: 13 October, 2019 15:02

Quote:
Uptonrover
Quote:
goosed
We are poor rubbish and somethin needs to happen at this club

So that statement aged well

Well maybe i jinxed the win sayin this so i am to blame for us winning im taking that

Posted by: hong kong rover (IP Logged)
Date: 13 October, 2019 15:02

if Coventry can get their hands on a potent goalscorer who knows where the net is, then they should be there or thereabouts at the end of the season..

Posted by: Tranmere Tinker (IP Logged)
Date: 13 October, 2019 15:19

Not a deserved win, they had several clear chances they should have scored, 5-0 wouldn't have flattered them. However we have to accept that they were a far superior team and we did what we needed to do, we defended well and hoped they couldn't find their shooting boots. We were lucky they didn't score, our goal was well taken though. Sometimes that is what you need to do, accept that they are much better and dig in hoping for a draw or sneaky goal against the run of play. Coventry will be gutted with the number of chances they missed.

Posted by: Hoots Mon (IP Logged)
Date: 13 October, 2019 15:21

Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
He's their lucky charm. They never lose when he's in charge (until late last season) and he regularly dishes out red cards to their opponents. He also disallowed a perfectly good Notts County goal when Cov beat them in the playoffs and allowed a dubious Cov goal in the same game.
Their luck with him has to change soon!
He was also the ref when we won 1-0 at Bradford on a Sunday a few seasons ago when Phil Parkinson lost it big time after Mr. Drysdale did not send Goodison off. That was a bit of a smash and grab though not as much as todays

Posted by: DevonExile (IP Logged)
Date: 13 October, 2019 15:21

We looked outclassed for most of the game but credit has to go to the concentration and resilience of the team. They hung in, rode their luck and if only for that deserved to win.
To be fair if we had an away team at PP that played the way that we did we would have many that would have complained about the tactics and the result.
In a season like this I do not care how ugly we win.If we survive it will be a great outcome and a springboard for better.
Defensively, I can see the case for Payne as man of the match but I think that there is a strong case for Caprice. When the defence was being stretched he showed real determination and quality and coming forward also looked our best outlet. He has come on in leaps and bounds since arrival

Posted by: Yiggsy (IP Logged)
Date: 13 October, 2019 15:31

tbf how many times did we get smash'n'grabbed in National League? FGR spring to mind.

That finish by CBT was worthy of any level of football.

... and finally... GTFI YES! Thanks to those who travelled. SWA

Current Page: 4 of 6
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net