Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Southend (H)
Posted by: ADD (IP Logged)
Date: 19 October, 2019 07:54

Quote:
trfc-boi
Does anyone want to comment on the fight & spirit in the team to keep going til 90 min.......
No not really that should be a given!
Atrocious first half and not so much better in the second.
Looked like relegation team last night.

Posted by: hong kong rover (IP Logged)
Date: 19 October, 2019 08:06

the brief highlights of last nights game are on you tube, that's how you take a penalty, Ray Stewartesque.., was it a penalty? its hard to tell on you tube...noticed that Southend didn't have any sponsors on the front of their shirts, that's pretty rare these days..what was the attendance last night and how many did Southend bring?

Posted by: Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)
Date: 19 October, 2019 08:38

First off I didn’t say there was discord amongst the players ,others said ii all I said was if it was true was not a good thing ,Elvis hit the nail on the head ,bog standard is all we can afford ,bog standard we have ,the 2villa lads are going to be very good players ,but to green at this level ,they flatter to deceive as surely they must at this level and lack of experience .the defence is poor and it’s only a matter of time before we get an embarrassing pasting ,I admire the optimist who won’t hear a bad word about the team but football wise it’s quite mediocre at times ,2sides of the coin

Posted by: Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)
Date: 19 October, 2019 09:06

Give me bog standard league 1 over 6th in league 2 or billy big potatoes in the conference any day of the week. Obviously not good enough for some on here but it'd be daft to expect much better at this stage of the club's journey.

Posted by: Phil65 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 October, 2019 09:21

Let me try articulate in my simplistic and semi-literate way..thanks Elvis 😀. I'd suggest that if anybody's being brutally honest, the realistic expectation from the last two games was a maximum of three points; we've returned with four so have exceeded expectation. As the old tired and worn out adage goes, it's a results business (there's also that one that goes it's a sign of a good team that wins or picks up points when playing badly; yes, I've used some artistic license to strengthen my point!). Yes, I want and would love us to play with style and swagger, but at this level grinding out points is just as valuable. I'm of the opinion that the margins in this division are finer than we might think; take the first half against Ipswich and first half last night. We more than matched Ipswich who are flying and were second best in the first half last night to Southend who are struggling. Yes, it's a game of 90 minutes, but it does demonstrate, to a degree, the parity and we are playing with a massively depleted squad.
Anyhow, things could be a lot worse, we could be Sunderland who've had contrasting fortune to us in recent years and think how happy they are that they're playing us!
Things could even go that step further and be completely depressing; take me,I'm off to do the big shop with the wife then visiting the in-laws. I'd take any half-baked performance from Tranmere over that any day!! Bloody downside of Friday night football!
I understand the frustration and would encourage everyone to continue to get it off their chest on here. Me, I'm gonna keep trying to roll with the punches to soften the blow.
Enjoy the weekend folks.

Posted by: Tommy Egg (IP Logged)
Date: 19 October, 2019 10:04

I fully expected a committed performance from Southend after all they are professional footballers playing for pride after 4 nil home defeat against botom table rivals .I don't blame MM for going with CBT and He run Murphy after the letters impact at Coventry but as youngsters , that's what they are , impact players lacking consistency .
I don't think he would have played Perkins so soon after injury or Danns after his international travels but no ther options with our injuries .Sure it was a poor performance
but you can't criticise the fighting spirit and I for one am content with situation at the moment .

Posted by: SmartRover (IP Logged)
Date: 19 October, 2019 10:59

Another very disjointed performance tonight, sadly we can’t get a settled team due to injuries and silly suspensions, what is apparent though is the energy other teams bring to the game, we seem tired even before we start so we’re at a clear disadvantage in each game, thought their centre forward was excellent tonight and gave Manny & Ray a torrid time, clearly both at fault for their goal and from the mistake Manny’s game suffered and his body language in the 2nd half was sad to watch.
What does annoy me is the poor quality and decision making from corners and free kicks, do we practice any at all because week in and out we offer very little and don’t show any confidence during these set plays, it’s a massive part of today’s game which we never bring to the table, nothing changes that’s why fans get frustrated, couple of really poor decisions from the ref especially in the 1st half when Morris was on the end of an awful chopped scissor challenge and got nothing, even the assistant on the JK guessed one offside because he wasn’t watching his line, gave a flag which was wrong, thought both sets of fans got behind their teams, just a pity the players didn’t buy into Friday night football with a whole hearted performance, just feel short changed and want the players to compete over the 90, a point is still better than nothing and thought the penalty was like an Exocet

Posted by: ElvisTRFC (IP Logged)
Date: 19 October, 2019 11:57

It's not Billy Big Potatoes we should be looking for. I'm talking about quite the opposite. It's the undervalued players who throughout their career have generally gone unnoticed. For the most part, they're likely just as average as what we have now, but they have that one redeeming skill. It's probably about having another string(s) to the bow. What strings are players pulling now? Do we have anybody with one exceptional skill set? If overnight one of our present squad were to miraculously develop a long throw-in, we would notice a difference on the pitch. And this would be an edge. Have a sprinkling of 3-4 players with certain skill sets, and we'd likely be scoring points.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/10/2019 12:00 by ElvisTRFC.

Posted by: Tommy Egg (IP Logged)
Date: 19 October, 2019 12:26

Doesn't Ellis have a long throw when he comes back to fitness ?

Posted by: Matt34 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 October, 2019 14:53

Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
Mellon poor at this level

No, the budget in relation to other clubs budget is poor at this level.

If Tranmere were wher they are paying £6,000 a week to people, the sentiment might hold true, but It's a 99% certainty he isn't spending anywhere near that on anyone, so he spends what he can and achieves what is realistic.

Anyone seriously thinking in August that Tranmere would be challenging for a 3rd promotion were a bit naive. Injuries have hampered form, but even if someone like Ferrier was available, would Tranmere suddenly be 6-8 points better off, or more likely 2-3 points at best?

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/10/2019 14:54 by Matt34.

Posted by: Bored rover (IP Logged)
Date: 19 October, 2019 16:36

Quote:
Matt34
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
Mellon poor at this level

No, the budget in relation to other clubs budget is poor at this level.

If Tranmere were wher they are paying £6,000 a week to people, the sentiment might hold true, but It's a 99% certainty he isn't spending anywhere near that on anyone, so he spends what he can and achieves what is realistic.

Anyone seriously thinking in August that Tranmere would be challenging for a 3rd promotion were a bit naive. Injuries have hampered form, but even if someone like Ferrier was available, would Tranmere suddenly be 6-8 points better off, or more likely 2-3 points at best?

So how do you explain last night, or are we suggesting the club who had lost the last 10 games in a row had a better budget? There are teams above us with less money too.

Posted by: Brenk (IP Logged)
Date: 19 October, 2019 17:54

I think one contributor asked what the attendance was last night. Apparently 7066. Weirdly got that from the Southend United site, not mentioned- as far as I can see- on the TRFC version!

Posted by: Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)
Date: 19 October, 2019 18:03

Quote:
Bored rover
Quote:
gary anderson
I think Mellon has done a great job getting us to where we are but starting to think maybe league one is a step to far for him Fleetwood and Shrewsbury both got rid of him .pity but results and the look of the way we play says it all to many training ground injury and herd there is unrest in the dressing room he falling out with players all the time can't take advice .but he got a 3 year left on contract so he will stay .we will do really well to stay up this year keep fingers crossed there's 3 worse teams than us

There isn't one worse team in this league and possibly not even in league 2!

Last time i looked we had Bolton, Southend, Accrington, Wimbledon and MK Dons who are factually worse than us at this moment.

Posted by: DevonExile (IP Logged)
Date: 19 October, 2019 18:22

There may be no easy games in this division but there are some that are easier than others and most clubs would be very happy if they had to play Southend every week. Any club that finishes below them this season will almost certainly be relegated. So last night was a disappointment. That said, in consecutive games we have hung in to take something from the game so how anyone sees a dressing room split is beyond me.Equally, I am not sure that injuries are a full explanation of our struggles. I am not convinced that any of the additions offers significant additional quality. They offer rotation but as yet no proven certainty of anything significantly better. We started the season with Elliss and Gumbs already long term injuries and in Miller, Woods and Potter we had players who looked a risk in terms of durability. In that situation it does not take too many more injuries before there is a crisis. I think the real problem with injuries is that it makes it harder for a team to gell and we often look like a team where players are not on the same wave length.
None of the above is surprising it looked from the outset like a squad to try and keep us up rather than much more. After two successive promotions that is not unreasonable and it is just glib to say that Mellon cannot hack it at this level. Shrewsbury may have been struggling butFleetwood were not. It was more a chairman who thought that with extra cash a manager should have immediately but themi inl line for a third promotion
If we stay up by a point then MM will have had another good season.He got us here and he is as likely to keep us here as any other realistic option

Date: 19 October, 2019 19:13

I agree with much of the last post but Mellon didn't manage Fleetwood in L1.

Posted by: Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)
Date: 20 October, 2019 10:55

Why don’t Tranmere announce the attendance ,it’s a strange one ,have to check the papers to find out ,happened all season so far

Date: 20 October, 2019 12:20

Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
Why don’t Tranmere announce the attendance ,it’s a strange one ,have to check the papers to find out ,happened all season so far

As has been mentioned on here before, the club almost always tweets the attendance either during or shortly after the game (and did so on Friday). So do the local journalists covering the game.
You don't need a Twitter account (though it's very useful if you're not able to attend the games), you can just access the Twitter feed on the Internet.

Posted by: Matt34 (IP Logged)
Date: 20 October, 2019 18:36

Quote:
Bored rover
So how do you explain last night, or are we suggesting the club who had lost the last 10 games in a row had a better budget? There are teams above us with less money too.

That result was not a vintage performance for sure and sometimes the quality a team can afford doesn't reflect results, or the high spenders in any league would never drop points to the low spenders.

However arguably two low spending teams out of form, were not strong contenders to serve up an end - to -end 3-2, 4-3 thriller and it proved to be the case.

Tranmere do need to find some improvement, which having 2-3 of the injured players back might cultivate, but having another £3,000-£4,000 a week to pay players would potentially be benefitting the team, but when someone says in effect Mellon doesn't cut it at this level it's hard to judge, because he's never worked at league 1 level with an Ipswich level spending culture. The lithmus test of Mellon at league 1 would be if he was in charge of a club like Ipswich or Sunderland and they were in the position Tranmere are currently, then the notion he isn't up to league 1 management would be more solid.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Posted by: kennyspint (IP Logged)
Date: 20 October, 2019 22:07

Again nice one Matt

Posted by: Eric01 Tranmere (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2019 15:57

Forgive me if I am wrong but I don't think the fact that Southend had a new manager could have made a difference to the challenge they set to us has been mentioned here? Could a new manager mean in the short term a bounce?

Current Page: 4 of 5
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net