Then and Now
Posted by: DevonExile (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 21:37

Earlier this season I posted my worry that this side looks as bad as when we suffered a double relegation out of the league. Few agreed, most pointing out that this is a far stronger side then then.
Our last winning side that last season in Div1 was
Fon Wlliams,,Ash Taylor, Goodison,Ridehaigh, Pennington,Power, Jennings,Koumas, Lowe,Cassidy, Akpa Akpro
Not a great side but I remain unconvinced that this current side gives any great reason to believe that we are any better equipped for Div 2 than when we were last relegated from this division.
It is a depressing thought and I would more than welcome the view being shown to be wrong

Re: Then and Now
Posted by: Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 21:52

You're quoting a L1 relegation side but not taking into account any of the subsequent factors, on and off the field, that led to the relegation from L2.

The club as a whole is far better placed now than then. And there's nobody in the current squad who hasn't cut it at at least L2 level, not forgetting it also has a number of L2 promotion winners in it. The manager doesn't have too shabby a record down there either. Completely different to the bunch of wasters (with a few exceptions) who took us into non league.

Nothing's impossible but there's nothing to suggest a double relegation might be on the cards.

Posted by: Bored rover (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 22:27

Naive of anybody to think we can’t be relegated to the NL again, this side was soundly beaten by Salford who are hardly riding the crest of a wave in League 2. Notts County were promotion favourites last season when relegated to the NL. League 2 is a difficult division any team can win it and any can be relegated with all teams very much on a par

Posted by: FloodlitFridays (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 22:38

And seven of those players from that last winning team ended up leaving that summer anyway (though I do include Jennings who returned a few months later). That summer heralded a significant overhaul with the club completely on its knees financially, and rotten to the core. I'm fairly sure we wouldn't be in such dire straits again.

Posted by: mogsy73 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 23:10

Interesting post that, and a bit alarming - I agree that we are in a far more stable position as a club nowadays, but that team that got relegated is significantly better than the team we have watched all season - it's almost night and day. I try not to think about our League 2 relegation but surely most of those players must have moved on after the L1 relegation

Date: 12 February, 2020 23:14

There's no naivety.
Relegation to non league tends to either be symptomatic of a far bigger malaise in a club (Notts County being classic) or the return of a smaller club to that level (like when Cheltenham fell with us).
Nothing is impossible but there's no point fretting about that possibility when there's absolutely no evidence to suggest it might be on the cards.

Posted by: kennyspint (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 23:21

My opinion is that this team shows much greater spirit than the relegation side from last time in League one. Results are terrible and Bristol Rovers cant shoot straight but we competed last night.

Posted by: Zint (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2020 07:16

It’s not impossible for us to experience further relegations. Whilst the club is in a better position than it was there is evidence that some of this is gloss.

Bread and butter for the club is stuff like match, ball & player sponsorship. Having sponsored a match ball on a couple of occasions I know that you used to have to get in really early to secure the game you wanted. Doesn’t look the case this season. The same is true with match sponsorship, we appear to be short of match sponsors within weeks of a game whereas in the past you had to get in pretty early to secure this. We also have lots of players without kit sponsors. We aren’t performing well in these areas and my concern is that it hides a bigger problem.

Happy to be wrong and time will tell. Seems to me that we as supporters and, I suspect, the club itself is resigned to relegation. Considering how far we have come this is a travesty.

Posted by: the kav (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2020 07:27

Let's be realistic. Without norwood we would have been lower midtable at best last season

Posted by: FloodlitFridays (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2020 09:18

Quote:
the kav
Let's be realistic. Without norwood we would have been lower midtable at best last season

We were pretty much that sort of side by December. MM's inspired January signings were just as responsible for us kicking on and getting promoted.

Posted by: gary anderson (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2020 17:50

Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
You're quoting a L1 relegation side but not taking into account any of the subsequent factors, on and off the field, that led to the relegation from L2.
The club as a whole is far better placed now than then. And there's nobody in the current squad who hasn't cut it at at least L2 level, not forgetting it also has a number of L2 promotion

winners in it. The manager doesn't have too shabby a record down there either. Completely different to the bunch of wasters (with a few exceptions) who took us into non league.

Nothing's impossible but there's nothing to suggest a double relegation might be on the cards.
Just for once aldosmuzzy can't you ever agree with anyone or do you really think you are god .just for once SHUT UP your not always right you @#$%& people off

Date: 13 February, 2020 17:59

Quote:
gary anderson
Just for once aldosmuzzy can't you ever agree with anyone or do you really think you are god .just for once SHUT UP your not always right you @#$%& people off

Yet more insults from the bloke who whinges about insults. Try debating the issue. You could start with what particular points you disagree with (or, in your words, "@#$%& people off") and why. It makes for far better discussion than mindless ranting. Give it a go.

Posted by: Crazylegs Cranebird (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2020 18:32

It is a worry.
The standard of football played by Tranmere on Tuesday night was really dreadful. Giving the ball away constantly, failure to pass straight (just random kicking), poor fitness (Cook and Vaughan), aimless crosses, poor marking (they had 3 glorious chances to win the game, including the last kick of the game). Organisation was shambolic -the decision to give the team captaincy to our goalie is just stupid. Micky was such a great manager for us, I can't understand what has gone wrong.
That team will struggle in League two.

TRFC is #8 on Wirral's new Viking Trail
[www.facebook.com] 👊👊

Posted by: Matt34 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2020 22:42

Maybe, maybe not though. League two is easier than league one, but then all leagues one step down from another should be easier than the one above to operate in in comparison when related to a relegated team..

Tranmere are not yet relegated, so prophesising potential doom seems a little premature just now. Perhaps wait and see and if the event does occur, assess the teams form after 5-6 league 2 matches.

Right now, survival is not an impossibility smiling smiley.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net