Mansfield shopping spree
Posted by: pez (IP Logged)
Date: 01 July, 2020 12:07

Can't help but notice how many players Mansfield have been signing up or are linked with at such an early stage.

We are waiting for news about when the season is expected to begin and news about salary caps and squad sizes before negotiating with our out of contract players, but although Mansfield will be affected too, they don't seem to be too bothered .

Wonder if they've had a bit of inside information,? lol

They seem to be eyeing up some decent players too.

Re: Mansfield shopping spree
Posted by: Marlow!'s foot (IP Logged)
Date: 01 July, 2020 12:12

I hope they're looking at George Ray.

Posted by: Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)
Date: 01 July, 2020 12:38

It's weird isn't it. They splashed the cash a couple of years ago too and missed out in promotion and tightened their belts a bit last year. Now, despite the crippling financial climate, they're doing it again.

Assuming the salary cap will be voted in, next season will still likely be a transition before the cap can be implemented in full. I wonder if they're doing so much business now in order to somehow take advantage of any transitional arrangements before they're implemented.

Posted by: Doogie'sGhost (IP Logged)
Date: 01 July, 2020 12:48

Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
It's weird isn't it. They splashed the cash a couple of years ago too and missed out in promotion and tightened their belts a bit last year. Now, despite the crippling financial climate, they're doing it again.
Assuming the salary cap will be voted in, next season will still likely be a transition before the cap can be implemented in full. I wonder if they're doing so much business now in order to somehow take advantage of any transitional arrangements before they're implemented.
I suspect your last sentence is correct. Owner agrees to underwrite the contracts. EFL can't apply something retrospectively and have already said there would be exceptions and allowances as I understand it. They are trying to play the system and buy promotion while they can.

Just as an aside - assuming we were unable to overturn the PPG relegation but did receive a fairly significant financial settlement, how much use would this be to us if the salary cap and squad restrictions were brought in? Very little I suspect. It would also mean the days of taking a chance on aging, injured players would be over.

Posted by: Bored rover (IP Logged)
Date: 01 July, 2020 13:56

Their are 3 different ways to run a club, set a budget and run at a small loss and make success more difficult as everything has to fall into place but ultimately settle for what you have. Second way is to roll the dice constantly and spend what you don’t have but increase the chances of success by signing the best, however you do need to be able to have sufficient assets or bring in sufficient money periodically to survive. Third way have a rich owner who bankrolls the second way but ultimately they never spend there own cash and at some point the bank will want it back.

Posted by: Volvic345 (IP Logged)
Date: 01 July, 2020 16:45

Talks about woodyard moving there aswell

Posted by: jal jal (IP Logged)
Date: 02 July, 2020 18:52

This is from The Lincoln Vitals Site Mansfield spending again

Mansfield appear to be spending again. So far, they have signed one player from the Championship (goalkeeper Marek Stech from Luton), two from League One (striker Jordan Bowery from MKD, and Bristol Rovers' captain Ollie Clarke) and one from the National League (Torquay striker Jamie Reid). They have also appointed former Wigan chairman David Sharpe as DoF, and he will not be coming cheap either. If they are after Woodyard and Bostwick (two more League One players), I would hate to see their wage bill again. It all seems a bit foolish to me, especially with wage caps being uncertain.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net