Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: New Tranmere manager ?
Posted by: Uptonrover (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2020 10:31

Just read on an everton twitter feed (dont know how i ended up there) that David Unsworth is a rumour. Hope not

Posted by: Doogie'sGhost (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2020 11:37

Quote:
Uptonrover
Just read on an everton twitter feed (dont know how i ended up there) that David Unsworth is a rumour. Hope not
Why not? At some point young coaches have to get a first opportunity to become managers, else there wouldn't be any new managers. I don't see it as any more significant risk than hiring a jaded 50+ year old retread who may have had some success a while ago. Sure you might get a Barnes, but you might get the next Clough too. Hiring a retread might also mean you get a Barnes but it means you're very unlikely to get the next Clough. The only problem with hiring a newbie from Unsworth's background would be the level of exposure he has had to the realities of lower division football and is that going to be too much of a bridge to cross. MP would be far better placed to judge that than you or I.

Posted by: DevonExile (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2020 13:00

There are plenty of good manages not in a job at the moment. Given that a Div2 level two years in post is about average might it make more sense to appoint where we would not have to pay compensation?

Posted by: greasbyrover (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2020 13:30

Where would we stand as regards furlough? I'm assuming Melon's wages, like all the players, would have been covered. Not sure if furlough would apply for newly appointed staff. In which case, there would be little point in making a decision now and needlessly adding to the financial outgoings.

Posted by: Bored rover (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2020 13:49

Quote:
greasbyrover
Where would we stand as regards furlough? I'm assuming Melon's wages, like all the players, would have been covered. Not sure if furlough would apply for newly appointed staff. In which case, there would be little point in making a decision now and needlessly adding to the financial outgoings.

Can’t furlough new staff

Posted by: rossb07 (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2020 14:00

Yeah cutoff had passed for all that now. They could potentially be placed on flexi-furlough but i think that deadline is coming up now too.

Posted by: Bored rover (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2020 14:05

Quote:
rossb07
Yeah cutoff had passed for all that now. They could potentially be placed on flexi-furlough but i think that deadline is coming up now too.

Can’t Furlough a new employee

Posted by: FazakerleyRover (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2020 14:12

I would love clint hill to be given a chance. Well respected by the players where he is and lives locally. Im sure he would jump at the chance

Posted by: velico (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2020 14:44

Quote:
Doogie'sGhost
Quote:
Uptonrover
Why not? At some point young coaches have to get a first opportunity to become managers, else there wouldn't be any new managers. I don't see it as any more significant risk than hiring a jaded 50+ year old retread who may have had some success a while ago. Sure you might get a Barnes, but you might get the next Clough too. Hiring a retread might also mean you get a Barnes but it means you're very unlikely to get the next Clough. The only problem with hiring a newbie from Unsworth's background would be the level of exposure he has had to the realities of lower division football and is that going to be too much of a bridge to cross. MP would be far better placed to judge that than you or I.
he thinks B teams should be in lower league football, nuff said.

Posted by: Shaumbra (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2020 15:34

These Managers are available:
Martin O'Neill
Tony Pulis
Steve McClaren
Simon Grayson
Paul Tisdale

Posted by: Mogsy66 (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2020 16:32

Certainly far from in the know as you can get but I do know a guy and I'm still told it will be a Mellon out interview and an announcement followed by someone in . Soon see how much my guy really knows 😁 . Sure theres people on here that would know more . Only names I've heard are Tisdale and Mcgreal. Tisdale apparently definitely interested , either interviewed or applied . We will see soon enough mind you

Posted by: Eric01 Tranmere (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2020 17:00

Quote:
Shaumbra
These Managers are available:
Martin O'Neill
Tony Pulis
Steve McClaren
Simon Grayson
Paul Tisdale

Of these, Martin O'Neill please

Posted by: Muir the merrier (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2020 17:16

Of all the names mentioned on various threads we have to be realistic that the new captain of the ship when announced will already be accustomed to working recently (McGreal) on a shoestring budget.

That's where we are in todays economic climate and of course League 2 status ?

Therefore, I think a few are already out of the equation including the Baldy One's preferred potential "Rafa" option !!

Posted by: gary anderson (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2020 18:15

We could not afford any of them it will be from within again mp will not splash out big money he will save by employing from within for that reason I think it will be parkingson. Or jacko if he stays .

Posted by: Tynan (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2020 19:06

Peter Clarke as assistant wouldn’t be a bad shout. 39 in January, a born leader and motivator.

Posted by: stek26 (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2020 20:32

Why all the talk of shoestring/low budgets???

Apparently, we were much better of In financial terms than a lot of our peers in League1 due to the COVID situation.

Palios, has indicated that he intends to have a top third (top 8) budget, whatever league we are in. I believe this to be even more so in L2.

I can only think of 4 maybe 5 clubs who would have a bigger budget than us in L2, this due to the size of clubs/infrastructure or wealthy’ish owners.

I see no reason why, given the current players already signed, that we shouldn’t be favourites to win the league. This combined with a competitive and imo top 5 budget make us very appealing.

Still undecided if I would prefer an experienced manager over a young up & coming coach??

Interesting to note that this seasons top 3 in League 2, all have relatively young Managers who probably don’t have 10 years managerial experience between them.

Posted by: DevonExile (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2020 20:41

Tisdale worked for 12 years at Exeter and I would be very surprised if we were not paying more than them. Afford is relative. If you can avoid compensation then an out of work manager on a two or three year contract may be cheaper than one on lower pay but with compensation paid

Posted by: Zint (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2020 20:44

We are entering a critical period and need to quickly appoint. I am sure Micky will target Jennings and Banks and in the absence of a manager we are more exposed to losing some of our contracted players too.

Posted by: Matt34 (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2020 20:56

Quote:
gary anderson
We could not afford any of them it will be from within again mp will not splash out big money he will save by employing from within for that reason I think it will be parkingson. Or jacko if he stays .

I politely disagreee on Tisdale, as he could be affordable and Pulis maybe at a pinch, but Grayson, O'Neil and McClaren I agere would be a 99.99% certainty to be too pricey and McClaren turned down Dundee United, so unless that was due to him not wanting a Scottish club job, then chances are it would have been the salary not being enough and I'd be very suprised if Mellon wasn't leaving for a salary increase, rather than just the chance of qualifying for Europe and a better chance of winning a high profile domestic knock-out cup, which he would have at that club.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Posted by: borowhite (IP Logged)
Date: 07 July, 2020 09:49

Quote:
Matt34
Quote:
gary anderson

I politely disagreee on Tisdale, as he could be affordable and Pulis maybe at a pinch, but Grayson, O'Neil and McClaren I agere would be a 99.99% certainty to be too pricey and McClaren turned down Dundee United, so unless that was due to him not wanting a Scottish club job, then chances are it would have been the salary not being enough and I'd be very suprised if Mellon wasn't leaving for a salary increase, rather than just the chance of qualifying for Europe and a better chance of winning a high profile domestic knock-out cup, which he would have at that club.

McClaren pulled out of the DU job due to family reasons. I would presume this would be a refusal to move north of the border.

Current Page: 3 of 6
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net