Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Manny M
Posted by: jonesy792 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 July, 2020 10:20

Yes he had a purple patch at L1 level but so did the whole team. I still see him as developing into a rock solid centre half. People forget his age. He can be a colossal presence at the back. It’s easy to pick out when it goes wrong but the amount he does very well easily compensates. Of course an old head helps next to him. Ellis and Manny were a superb partnership at L2 level and still think would be the best combo. Ellis and Clarke looked very static against Shrewsbury.

As for Gumbs, he’s another Wallace. Can’t rely on him. Ray is dreadful as we all know. Clarke’s age makes him doubtful that he’s going to be fit and injury free throughout season. Big question mark over Ellis staying injury free after such a long lay off plus he’s no spring chicken himself. So if Manny goes, it’s not so comfortable as people are suggesting

Posted by: Hampshire White (IP Logged)
Date: 15 July, 2020 11:45

A Pompey mate if mine has said they want Manny, but he would have to agree to a pay cut. Can't see that happening.

Posted by: DevonExile (IP Logged)
Date: 15 July, 2020 13:33

I do not agree that what Manny does outnumbers the good he does. So many goals against us last season came from crosses and set pieces where he was hopelessly lost and these cost us a lot of points. His qualities merely hide his inadequacies and it is no coincidence that we looked best when he was not in the side. It became increasingly easy to see why FGR let him go

Posted by: pez (IP Logged)
Date: 15 July, 2020 13:46

Personally, I think that if Manny wishes to leave, then why not cash in?

If his heart is set on something else, then it's better for him and Tranmere to part ways.

I'd like to see Ellis given another 12 month deal and pair him with Clark or Nelson.

Manny has been a good player, but he's nowhere near as good as Ian Goodison, and if we can get a decent fee for him then why not?

I'm more concerned about our lack of recruitment due to the management situation.

If any player wants to move on, then we should consider letting them go. It's counter productive to keep anyone who doesn't buy into the ephos of the club and it's ambitions.

Posted by: Bored rover (IP Logged)
Date: 15 July, 2020 20:34

Quote:
pez
Personally, I think that if Manny wishes to leave, then why not cash in?
If his heart is set on something else, then it's better for him and Tranmere to part ways.

I'd like to see Ellis given another 12 month deal and pair him with Clark or Nelson.

Manny has been a good player, but he's nowhere near as good as Ian Goodison, and if we can get a decent fee for him then why not?

I'm more concerned about our lack of recruitment due to the management situation.

If any player wants to move on, then we should consider letting them go. It's counter productive to keep anyone who doesn't buy into the ephos of the club and it's ambitions.

The won’t be any recruits at most places until the start date is decided and the last I heard on that from the inside was it’s along way off being agreed. The EFL want an August start but the majority in the EFL do not as they can’t function behind closed doors, never mind CV19 testing. The other start date mentioned is September but that is also seen as fanciful by many clubs for the exact same reason, no crowds. There’s talk of some clubs not even wanting to discuss it until lockdown lifts sufficiently to confirm that crowds will be allowed which is likely to be into 2021. It’s being discussed weekly at the stakeholder meetings but no solid consensus as yet.

Posted by: Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)
Date: 15 July, 2020 20:43

You're right on the dynamics of the discussion and lack of consensus but spare us the 'inside info' guff - this is all in the public domain! (Sm6)

EFL was going to vote this week on a start date but it's reportedly been put back to 24th. August 29 and September 12 were the two target dates. Positive noises about some crowds being allowed in from September but obviously dependent on government and, of course, the virus itself.

Current Page: 2 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net