Current Page: 1 of 2
Joe Murphy
Posted by: Tranmere2003 (IP Logged)
Date: 11 August, 2020 16:20

Was spotted today at the campus

Re: Joe Murphy
Posted by: This is sh1t (IP Logged)
Date: 11 August, 2020 16:56

Was a great keeper until he injured his shoulder, was never the same again after that.
Think ex keepers make good trainers, think it’s one of the few positions where ex players are the main trainer.

Posted by: DevonExile (IP Logged)
Date: 11 August, 2020 18:06

He was Bury's player of the year a couple of years ago and a fixture in the promotion year. Would give a very good option in terms of having experience on the bench

Posted by: Bored rover (IP Logged)
Date: 11 August, 2020 18:46

No thanks

Posted by: gainsparkshrew (IP Logged)
Date: 11 August, 2020 19:29

Spent last season with us and played a few games in both the league and F.A Cup. Did well in the two Cup games against Bristol City, as our first choice keeper was on loan from that club. Made a few mistakes in the league games.

Good back up keeper. Do you have a goalkeeping coach? Sure that he would do well in that role if he has his badges

Posted by: stek26 (IP Logged)
Date: 11 August, 2020 20:08

Back up keeper combined with goalkeeping coach, I’d be happy with that.

Let’s face it, back up keepers don’t play much, and we could save money.

Posted by: Loyden1 (IP Logged)
Date: 11 August, 2020 22:19

Cant forget league cup final achteberg should of played his height would of made the difference. Only my opinion

Posted by: Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)
Date: 11 August, 2020 22:34

Quote:
Loyden1
Cant forget league cup final achteberg should of played his height would of made the difference. Only my opinion

Same here, every time I hear of Joe this is still the first thing that comes to mind. Nothing against him and he's a decent keeper but it was very harsh to leave Achto out of the final. Like you say, his height would've probably made the difference on the goals.

Loved Aldo as a manager but he got this one wrong imo.

Posted by: jim rockford (IP Logged)
Date: 11 August, 2020 22:49

It makes sense will be on the bench more than play will also be coach lives locally and the most important thing fits the home grown player criteria with one having to be on the bench.

Posted by: Matt34 (IP Logged)
Date: 11 August, 2020 22:53

Calling players home grown. It makes them sound like a tomato plant cultivated in a grow bag.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Posted by: Crazylegs Cranebird (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2020 10:15

Quote:
gainsparkshrew
Spent last season with us and played a few games in both the league and F.A Cup. Did well in the two Cup games against Bristol City, as our first choice keeper was on loan from that club. Made a few mistakes in the league games.
Good back up keeper. Do you have a goalkeeping coach? Sure that he would do well in that role if he has his badges

I don't think this is the right time to come on our board mate, not what after your @#$%& of a Chairman did.
Shrewsbury Town can rot in hell as far as I'm concerned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2020 10:17 by Crazylegs Cranebird.

Date: 12 August, 2020 10:21

Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
Quote:
Loyden1

Same here, every time I hear of Joe this is still the first thing that comes to mind. Nothing against him and he's a decent keeper but it was very harsh to leave Achto out of the final. Like you say, his height would've probably made the difference on the goals.

Agreed 100%. Especially that 2nd goal. We could have won that if it wasnt for the fact that Leicester had almost a 2 week break before that game whilst we were playing Newcastle in that cup tie, followed by Wolves away in the week (& with Chally carrying that injury).

Posted by: Marlow!'s foot (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2020 10:59

What a great day out that was. To win would have been the icing on the cake but at least it put us on the map. Two things really @#$%& me off, Heskey tripping over his own feet to get Clint sent off and bonehead Elliot getting the headline for the second goal when it hit the bar and rebounded in off Murphy's hand. Petty I know.

Posted by: Doogie'sGhost (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2020 11:18

Quote:
Crazylegs Cranebird
Quote:
gainsparkshrew

I don't think this is the right time to come on our board mate, not what after your @#$%& of a Chairman did.
Wind it in. He was raised on the Woodie and used to watch Rovers before moving. As for what their chairman did, he did what virtually every chairman did and exactly what our would have done. The fault and blame does not lie with the clubs or their chairmen (or women), it lies with the EFL.

Posted by: gainsparkshrew (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2020 12:29

Quote:
Doogie'sGhost
Quote:
Crazylegs Cranebird
Quote:
gainsparkshrew

Wind it in. He was raised on the Woodie and used to watch Rovers before moving. As for what their chairman did, he did what virtually every chairman did and exactly what our would have done. The fault and blame does not lie with the clubs or their chairmen (or women), it lies with the EFL.

Thanks for your supportive post Doogie, I don't particularly want to bring the "Shrewsbury" thread back to the top of the board but perhaps if Crazylegs reads it again he will understand a little more. TBF i need to start a thread about Birkenhead in the 60-70's and reply to those who replied about RFHS.

One good point that Crazylegs did make was about the tackle that Alf Wood made on George Yardley at a night match at The Gay Meadow back in the late 60's that basically finished Yardleys career. I was too young to go to that match, as a TRFC supporter, but we Shrews fans debated Alf Wood on our board about a year or so back,just after Wood died.

Several town fans remembered that tackle, one describing it as the worst act of thuggery that he had ever seen on a football pitch. Apparently Wood only got booked, several commented that he should have been sent off and banned for the whole season. In this day and age I'm sure that Yardley would have sued Wood for loss of earnings etc etc, and by what I read he should have done

Posted by: Doogie'sGhost (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2020 14:25

Absolutely no problem. Shrewsbury is one my favourite places to visit for a cheeky night away. I've spent many happy hours at The Boathouse by the side of the river. Too young to see Yardley but for there to be the almost universal condemnation of the challenge that I have seen it must have been really bad. In many ways I miss the physicality of football as it used to be in the sanitised PL era, but the ability to injure an opponent with intent and get away with it is one thing that has definitely improved.

Posted by: Kennel (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2020 15:37

Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
Quote:
Loyden1

There were lots of Acho,s fans at Wembly all bitterly disappointed.....yes Aldo got that wrong,unless he was injured.

Posted by: Loyden1 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2020 17:10

Quote:
Crazylegs Cranebird
Quote:
gainsparkshrew

crazy dont be 2crazy hes from wirral .like me ex rfhigh.i was at the game that alf wood did yardley and remember the team coach stopping at a pub chester high rd .i was 2young to go in pub so outside i asked how george was and the driver said he could be finished. Shrewsbury insisted we played that nite even tho we had evton cup game on the sat.we had asked for it to be moved

Posted by: DevonExile (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2020 18:34

I cannot belief the vitriol that underlies Crazy's response. Yardleys treatment was a abysmal but that does not define a club for ever and a day or justify hostility to a guest poster making balanced and objective comments. This clinging on to historical events to define reactions to others was the fuelling that sustained secterianissm in Northern Island and is rooted in so much division in the rest of the world.
Crazy is entitled to his opinion but that his observations and reactions are just extreme triabalism . I for one am very glad that it is a minority of the football fraternity that think this way

Date: 15 August, 2020 13:48

Quote:
DevonExile
I cannot belief the vitriol that underlies Crazy's response. Yardleys treatment was a abysmal but that does not define a club for ever and a day or justify hostility to a guest poster making balanced and objective comments. This clinging on to historical events to define reactions to others was the fuelling that sustained secterianissm in Northern Island and is rooted in so much division in the rest of the world.
Crazy is entitled to his opinion but that his observations and reactions are just extreme triabalism . I for one am very glad that it is a minority of the football fraternity that think this way

I understand what you say Devon.
However my main comments were directed at the decision by their chairman to vote not to play knowing full well it would unfairly relegate us (and having just beaten them on their own turf).
Poor show!

With regards Yardley, sure it was a long time ago. That does not excuse their disgusting behaviour and not just the player who perpetrated that tackle against our George who had scored 4 against them earlier at PP. A picture of that player adorns their boardroom under their 'hall of fame'. That is so offensive.

That is Shrewsbury Town. Nice club. I hope they enjoy their League One football next season.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/08/2020 13:50 by Crazylegs Cranebird.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net