Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: Declan Drysdale
Posted by: Phil65
Date: 04/07/2020 15:43
Quote:
acc928
Quote:
DevonExile
Quote:
Phil65
I'm happy with Sir Matt Busby's quote "If they're good enough, they're old enough" which is still on the wall in the Manchester Utd dressing room. United didn't do too badly with youth. It would be a tonic to see somebody breaking through the ranks and getting a regular first team place. It's that catch 22 scenario where talk is of them not having enough experience, when the experience comes from playing first team football.
Conversely, older players have their place. Where's my shirt!
Perhaps someone on here could rectify the youth situation when they step in to Mickey's shoes, if the rumour's true; loads of good managers on here!😀

Yes but if you look at the so called Busby Babes teams they where not all teenagers. Bringing a potential outstanding player into an experienced team is one thing but at our level it is almost impossible to put out a really young team that is competitive.

The Busby Babes average age was about 22 with the captain Duncan Edwards being 21

There is no universally agreed international definition of the "youth" age group. The United Nations defines "youth" as those between 15 and 24 years of age. The Busby Babes, and Drysdale, sit within that range.
It is symptomatic of the situation when there's an inclination to dismiss a younger player who's hardly kicked a ball in the first team or is judged on one or two appearances. Are we really expecting instant success, particularly at our level; even seasoned pros can take time to flourish. The jury was out on Norwood for a good period, but he turned to gold and don't forget "senior" pros can have their fair share of mares. We can't always use the excuse that we can't take a chance on youth, as seems to have been highlighted by some on numerous occasions; it wasn't the right time during our three years in the NL, it wasn't the right time in League Two, then League One. The million dollar question: when is the right time?
I'd prefer an eclectic approach to age, rather than it be deemed a limiter at either end of the scale. To be fair to Mickey, we have used some younger loan signings, but the expectation seems to be they need to be consistent world beaters to get a modicum of credit.
I'd be happy if we survived in League Two enabling some younger players to gain valuable experience and become contracted first team regulars, even if it was to sell on at some point.
I guess a little bit of patience will go a long way.
Idealistic maybe, but certainly not unfeasible.

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net